Locks and Security... what do you recommend?

GoldenMotor.com

What lock do you use or recommend? Please specify brand names and where to buy...

• Total voters

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
My bike got stolen while at the office in an Airline compound. Idiotic Security guards didn't saw a thing and no CCTV footage was found about it. :(

I used a cable lock. I used to have an Alarm Padlock but it got ruined in the rain.

So what locks do you use or would recommend that would best deter a burglar / thief / bikenapper?

a) U-Lock
b) Cable lock
c) Alarm lock
d) Chain lock
e) Booby trap
f) Others specify

Last edited:

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
I voted other as I use a combination, U-lock (new one) and a Kryptonite (sp?) cable. I wind the cable through the bike frame and wheels and lock it with the u-lock. The u-lock secures the cable and bike frame to what ever I am locking my bike to.

LongHairedZebra

Jul 29, 2011
Iowa
I voted other as i also use a U-lock and a cable lock, but uh...you could just loosen the front wheel enough so it falls out when they try to take off? never did it but me just being stupid

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
e) Booby trap
If it actually works, it will result in retaliation... and I'm not sure ya wanna play the escalation game with someone already proven to have criminal tendencies...

Jus' sayin' ;)

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I like the U lock. It's easy to use and looks good on the bike.

My main use is locking in front of the store when I go in to buy something. Not all stores have bike racks, but all stores have handicap parking signs and the U lock works well from the top frame bar to the sign post.

42blue15

Sep 18, 2008
St Louis metro, USA
Use two locks, because that way your bike is twice as hard to steal as everyone else's. ;)

NO cables, not at all, from any brand, ever. None. Waste of money.

I say U-lock + a chain lock. And use real security chain, not the stuff they cut-to-length for you at the hardware store. (hint-hint)

Get GOOD brands. EXPENSIVE brands. Kryptonite or Abus. Get the top-end models, not the cheap ones. The cheap ones are crap. Kryptonite sells u-locks for $25 now, and they sell u-locks for $75. Guess which one is the GOOD one?

Yea they cost money. So does a new bike, plus the inconvenience of having it happen.

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
U-lock 1st then a cable, if you can use both the best. Quality u-lock takes noise or time to defeat. A cable can be cut in 3 seconds.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I voted other as well. I would use more than one lock. Locks with double sided tumblers are my favorite. A u lock cable combo might be the best way.

Also when you can try to lock the bike where every body can kinda see it. What I mean is if the theif has hella privacy unveiwed he may very well give it a try. I say definitely use two locks. Don't use an older style U lock use the newer one they make now. The old ones were easy to pick the lock. I hear the newer ones are much better tho.

According to this video about 59,000 folks know this trick now on the old U lock. ‪U-Lock Bic Pen Trick‬‏ - YouTube

Last edited:

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
Kryptonite is the only brand that is commonly available that I would use. In my experience....I don't let my bike out of my sight when I am out riding. In the rare instance I need to stop somewhere and use the restroom, etc-this is what I use.

Kryptonite

It ain't cheap, but I have over 1000 bucks invested in my ride.

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
I should also add....if I thief wants your bike-he's gonna get it if you give him the slightest chance. If he has to cut the top tube in half to remove the lock-he'll do it just for the bike parts.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
That sucks dude.

Bikes are freedom machines, you don't want to be chained to your bike eh?

Yeah, locks are to keep honest people honest. And foil the snatch & run guys. Ain't gonna do nothing to a guy in a pickup truck with an oxyacetylene rig in the back. And bystanders aren't gonna be real anxious to step up and argue a guy with a torch in his hand either.

Nah, you really don't want to keep a nice bike locked up with anything for too long a time in one place. Best to keep it outta sight.