Dream bike..........

GoldenMotor.com

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I've been on this message board for awhile and I've got to read about and see some really *way* cool bikes......if money was NO object-what kind of bicycle frame, componets and engine would you use to build your ultimate motor bicycle?
Workin' on it ;)
http://motorbicycling.com/f44/bent-zombie-tribrid-tadpole-trike-build-24210-18.html

That would put me at roughly 5 to 6 grand.....anybody top that?
Thankfully, no - not even close lol

TBH, it's not so much the monies I think that holds folks up frm building their dream machine, but the access to fabrication equipment & materials, time & patience... yet I'm stoked to see jus' how man folks are building their dream bikes 'round here :D

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
I have a Shimano XTR Mtb. Its amazing. Even better since i mounted my 66cc engine to it. These bikes cost like 500$ new. I got it for $40 at a garage sale brand new. Barely used. Professional racer used it and left it at his moms house when he moved. This bike doesn't have any shocks,but its a steel frame. It takes potholes ok. Gotta get a comfort seat. These mtb seats are not very comfortable for long 10+ mile trips. Tons of potholes and cracks in the roads where i live.

Last edited:

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
Niiiiice....I bought a used Trek a few years ago with a complete Dura-Ace gruppo-dear God that was a sweet ride.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I wanted a chainless, 4 stroke, foreward facing cylinder, manual clutch, 2 speed, bump start capable, high performance, low budget build like this.
And here it is...
DSC_1637.JPG

DSC_1638.JPG

DSC_1641.JPG

Last edited:

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Plenty pics of this build procession at the DIY forum. "In Frame Predator Fricton drive" thread.
Yeah I don't go that fast often, but what a thrill!! Actually that speedo is about 7 mph off.

Gary Harris

Jul 31, 2011
Houston
I have a Shimano XTR Mtb. Its amazing. Even better since i mounted my 66cc engine to it. These bikes cost like 500$ new. I got it for $40 at a garage sale brand new. Barely used. Professional racer used it and left it at his moms house when he moved. This bike doesn't have any shocks,but its a steel frame. It takes potholes ok. Gotta get a comfort seat. These mtb seats are not very comfortable for long 10+ mile trips. Tons of potholes and cracks in the roads where i live.
Sorry to disagree with ya James, but a XTR level mtb bike costs a heck of a lot more than $500, more like 5k! Trust me, I built a few. lol

This is a 24 1/2# full boinger I built not too long ago. Almost every bolt on her is Titanium.

Gary Harris

Jul 31, 2011
Houston
My last dream bike was to go from full suspension, to a rigid old school bike. 23 lbs and about 3k and no where near a full XTR build. SLX, X9, Avid BB7 would put it near a XT build.

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
Gary....that is one sweet ride. I'm guessing with all the Chris King candy on that plus XTR it's one sweet piece. Nothing like that sound of a Chris King hub :)

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
Gary, i was just sayin' what they told me. Mine has no suspension. Its a rigid steel frame, and rim brakes instead of coaster. These are great bikes. The ones like in your pic, they can take some serious punishment without anything bending or breaking. There is one issue with mine, when i change gears to the very lowest gear for the back cog, it cant get onto it. It just gets in between the two. Also anytime i switch gears, it skips a gear. it goes from one up to 3, then to 5, 7, 9. lol It quite odd. I don't know it the previous owner is the one who did whatever to it, or if its a manufacturer fault(which i highly doubt), cuz these expensive bikes, get looked over, get benchtested, before its taken apart and put in a box. Overall its an amazing bike. Suspension would be great though.

Last edited: