Speedo for my 26" Bike

GoldenMotor.com

TANGO

May 26, 2011
IL
I want a Speedometer for My 26" Motorized Bike Build . I was thinking about buying the HD Front wheel with the internal Front Drum Brake set up . If I go that rout what Speedo do I use and were does it hook up at on the Wheel ? I have installed Speedo's on regular Bike Wheels with not much of a Problem . Just need some info on what I should be Looking at to Buy .

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I want a Speedometer for My 26" Motorized Bike Build . I was thinking about buying the HD Front wheel with the internal Front Drum Brake set up . If I go that rout what Speedo do I use and were does it hook up at on the Wheel ? I have installed Speedo's on regular Bike Wheels with not much of a Problem . Just need some info on what I should be Looking at to Buy .
This is what I use on all my bikes, just make sure to mount the CDI as far from the handle bars as possible like on the seat post down tube and these work great.

This is a wireless speedo so no worries about running more wires and they are very accurate, I tested mine against my GPS and they are dead on.....with-in maybe a few 10ths of a MPH.... if you dont mind waiting 3 weeks you can order them direct from china at a much better price or just do like I did the last time I ordered them and got them from this seller in the states, they just cost many $'s more this way but you get it in 1 week versus 3.

New Wireless LED bike Computer Speedometer Odometer - eBay (item 130520644851 end time Jun-12-11 14:00:58 PDT)

Peace

TANGO

May 26, 2011
IL
Mapbike thank you for the info on the Speedometer you use . 2door I did a search at First Like you . That Left Me more unsure in what to use Ha-Ha . Lot of the Bike Build Stuff can be Google Searched but I really want to know as to today what type of Speedometers Guy's do use and how well they work . Some of the out dated Threads have parts that may not even be used or sold today .

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I use the wired version of the one MB uses, it works flawless. even after I unlocked from the mount and it bounced on the pavement and into a guys yard from 25mph.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Mapbike thank you for the info on the Speedometer you use . 2door I did a search at First Like you . That Left Me more unsure in what to use Ha-Ha . Lot of the Bike Build Stuff can be Google Searched but I really want to know as to today what type of Speedometers Guy's do use and how well they work . Some of the out dated Threads have parts that may not even be used or sold today .
TANGO, I used one of those cheapy mechanical Stewart Warner knock offs in the beggining and it lasted for a total of 14 miles before it was junk.... it bounced all over the place and then the dial hand fell of and then it just qiuit working completely, I contacted the seller and they refunded my purchase and I sent it back to them........

thats when I ordered the speedo that I mentioned above, I got mine straight from China Girl Land for about $3-4, it is stuill working good and that was winter of 2009 so I have since ordered several more of the same unit with the same great results, accurate, compact, water proof, and useful because of the actual good quality of these little boogers, only thing you must do is not mount them close to the CDI / ignition or it will mess/ interfear with them, I have these on three bikes and really like how well they work.

If you don't mind a little wait here is a place you can get the speedo I use for $6.68 shipped right to your front door/mailbox.

Wireless Cycle Computer Bicycle Bike Meter Speedometer | eBay

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Your very welcome TANGO.....thats what we are suppose to be here for to learn what we dont know and share in a helping way what we do.....from our own experiences......there is a bunch I dont know about many things but what I do, I'm always gonna share when I think it can be of use or help.

brnot

Peace

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I and many others have had very good luck with the $10.00 Schwinn 12 function wired speedometer from, 'shudder', Wally World. I currently have three that perform perfectly if, as Mapbike said, you keep the wire away from the CDI and any cable that is directly attached to the engine. One of mine has accurately accrued over 1000 miles without resetting itself or giving false info.
There is a trick to making it work right: There is a hard to see arrow on the pick-up that attaches to the front fork. The magnet that goes on the spokes must perfectly align with that arrow or you'll get erratic readings.
Good luck.

Tom

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Agree completely Tom.....good info.

I and many others have had very good luck with the $10.00 Schwinn 12 function wired speedometer from, 'shudder', Wally World. I currently have three that perform perfectly if, as Mapbike said, you keep the wire away from the CDI and any cable that is directly attached to the engine. One of mine has accurately accrued over 1000 miles without resetting itself or giving false info.
There is a trick to making it work right: There is a hard to see arrow on the pick-up that attaches to the front fork. The magnet that goes on the spokes must perfectly align with that arrow or you'll get erratic readings.
Good luck.

Tom

Skyliner70

May 25, 2011
Colorado
I'm a failed comedian, but here it goes anyway....I don't recommend speedos or spandex while riding our MBs.....

I've used nothing but cheap Wallyworld speedometers and have never had an issue with interference. Strongly recommend using double side tape or a hot glue gun on the pickup sensor mounted on the fork before zip tying it on.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I'm a failed comedian, but here it goes anyway....I don't recommend speedos or spandex while riding our MBs.....

I've used nothing but cheap Wallyworld speedometers and have never had an issue with interference. Strongly recommend using double side tape or a hot glue gun on the pickup sensor mounted on the fork before zip tying it on.
Or spandos or speedex either for that matter.......!

Britches & Boots work pretty good...

now nobody go and turn them words around cause it gets a bit ugly when you do.....!

Peace

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
What are Broots? I second the Schwinn speedo. I have several and when properly calibrated are dead on. My old BMW K bike was a working speedo, but no odometer(common problem to this bike). Cheapest fix I could find was $250. I installed one of these units and it works great. Dead on speed wise. Now I can easily keep up with mileage for maint. Was a guess before.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
What are Broots? I second the Schwinn speedo. I have several and when properly calibrated are dead on. My old BMW K bike was a working speedo, but no odometer(common problem to this bike). Cheapest fix I could find was $250. I installed one of these units and it works great. Dead on speed wise. Now I can easily keep up with mileage for maint. Was a guess before.
Broots you mean you dont know?

Broots is the Redneck way of spelling Brutes!

Broots....or....Brutes..........It's all the same to a country boy, it describes a rough and tough bone headed country boy or girl to us...LOL!

Peace dnut