How Do I Install An Oil Dispenser Inside A Gas Tank

GoldenMotor.com

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been filling my four-liter Happy Time fuel tank at the gas station. Pour two quarts fuel in, pour oil, then fill up with gas. Sometimes, I need three hands to do this, and always worry about spilling oil or overfilling.

I'm thinking of devising a measured container below the neck of the fuel tank. That way, I can just pour the oil into the tank without pre-measuring. Then the gas pouring into that measured oil container will ensure a very good oil/fuel mix. I always worry about a poor mix. On my first attempt to fill my tank. I forgot to shut the petcock and poured the oil in first. The oil flowed directly into the large FRAM automobile-type fuel filter. When I started the engine, it fouled and died within seconds. To resolve the issue, I had to plug the gas cap and turn the bike upside-down. This allowed the oil to flow back into the petcock and tank. After closing the valve, I flipped the bike over and stirred the fuel mixture with a pair of chopsticks. Minutes later, the bike's engine cleared up and I rode home. Since the oil/fuel mix was probably way off, I drained the gas and mixed another tankful.

So, to keep this from happening again, I'd like to have a 1.875 ounce cup below the tank's neck. I've noticed that it's too messy to fill four quarts into the fuel tank, so I'll pump in three quarts instead. That 1.875 ounce receptacle is perfect for 50:1 oil/fuel mix. When running an engine using a 25:1 mixture, I simply fill the oil cup twice. If situated directly under the gas cap, oil/fuel mix will be excellent. Besides, the cup will also keep gas from sloshing out the gas cap's vent(I've also been having slosh problems).

Anyone ever thought of installing a measured oil cap in their fuel tank?

Thoughts?

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
before oil injection yamaha's had a little upside down cup on the gas cap. you would fill the cup for every gal of gas. them were the old 20-1 days. now days with up to 100-1 you would have a pretty small cup! oil syringe's are popular now too [ya gotta carry oil why not in the syringe.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
before oil injection yamaha's had a little upside down cup on the gas cap. you would fill the cup for every gal of gas. them were the old 20-1 days. now days with up to 100-1 you would have a pretty small cup! oil syringe's are popular now too [ya gotta carry oil why not in the syringe.
Two reasons why I want an oil dispenser in the tank:dance1

First, I need three hands and a leg to brace my bike, pump the nozzle and pour the oil intermittently into the tank.

Second, syringes are messy, especially after use. I reuse the 2.56 oz. oil container, but I need to dig it outa my backpack. I always worry about spilling/overflowing gas and tipping the bike over, while monitoring the gas pump and small HT tank. I also worry about the plastic oil container breaking inside the backpack, contaminating everything.

What I envision is a small built-in container, or one mounted externally with a screw-on cap and a petcock. It could be filled a few days before. When fillup time arrives, simply lift gas cap, insert pump nozzle, turn on petcock. When finished, shut petcock, replace cap. Refill oil dispenser anytime before the next fillup.

Thoughts?

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I don't know if you have a rear rack or a basket, but if you don't, get one or the other. Also get a gas can. I pour my oil in my gas can before going to the gas station. I strap my gas can to my rear rack, ride to the station, pay for a gallon of gas, and fill the gas can. I shake the can up real good and put it back on the rack. Then all I have to do is pay attention when filling the tank. if this method isn't simple enough for you, I don't know what is.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Thank you for your simple solution. However, I want it simpler, almost automatic. I've always had a two-gallon gas can handy at home. Pour oil into container, drive to gas station, fill container, return home, fill the bike's four-liter tank. However, nowadays, I don't like to keep gas at home. I live in a walkup apartment. The fillups at home are too messy. My bike is such a regular commuter that I like gassing up at any service station. If I run outa gas in town, I simply pedal to the nearest station and fill up the tank.

BTW, my fuel tank sits atop the rear rack.

No, I will not consider swapping in a 4-stroke engine onto my bike.

I carry an 18-oz. aluminum fuel cylinder in the bike's bottle cage. I COULD carry 1.875 oz of oil in this container. At the gas station, I could partially fill this container, mix thoroughly, then pour it into the tank while pumping gas. This would make for a better mix, instead of pouring oil straight into the HT fuel tank.

This is a good alternative, unless someone else has a better method of a passive oil dispenser. I'm looking for an idea where there's very little chance of spilling oil or fuel.

Last edited:

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I didn't say anything about a 4 stroke. I'm 2 stroke all the way, bro. I can actually understand your conundrum, what with living in an apartment and all. I live in an apartment too, but I'm lucky enough to have a garage. So, to understand what you are looking for, you want a cup that holds the exact amount of oil you want to use, and as you pour the gas in, the oil cup overflows, automatically mixing the oil with the gas. Is that it? Maybe they have something like it at a motorsports store.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Yes, I know you hadn't mentioned a 4-stroke, but someone else might be thinking about suggesting an engine swap. It would seem slightly logical to run a 4-stroke, but not for me.

Originally, I WAS thinking about a tiny cup. Then I thought about sinking an oil dispenser into the tank, like a soap dispenser in a dishwashing machine. Now I want a hands-free oil container, probably mounted just outside the tank, maybe with a short connecting hose and a petcock to the fuel tank.

Last edited:

HseLoMein

Oct 30, 2008
Boston, MA
too bad they didnt have a oil safe plastic ball that dissolved in gas and will not fown things, cause then you could fill those balls with the required amount of oil, and just drop it in the tank as you fill it, then shake. That would be awesome

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
So if i hear you right you want to be able to attach it to stock cap ,fill at home, then be able to put cap back on and dispense oil after filling back up?
I was thinking some kind of spun metal bowl with locking cap ,prob around two fld oz.
Sounds like a cool project ,I'll try and fab up something...

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
too bad they didnt have a oil safe plastic ball that dissolved in gas and will not fown things, cause then you could fill those balls with the required amount of oil, and just drop it in the tank as you fill it, then shake. That would be awesome
I totally agree!

Maybe like an Alka-Seltzer tablet, saturated with the right amount of oil. Fill half a tank, add tablet, finish gassing up. Pop-Pop, Fizz-Fizz, in a minute or so, it's a perfect mix.dance1

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
he is an idea.
at linens & things i picked up a couple of containers for holding salad. in the top there was a spot to put in one's dressings.
when the container was closed, one would press the top & inside the container the top would release the dressing .

here i dug up a pic

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
The "squeeze-bulb" syringe is a good idea. The squeeze is more stable than a "thumb push" needle syringe.

I am wanting a metal vial. It should be solidly mounted atop the HT tank, equipped with a petcock to slowly drip a measured amount of oil into the gushing fuel. :-||

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Rube Goldberg device? Yes, since I'm cheap and am looking for a container that'll bolt onto the tank.

HOWEVER, a fabricating shop could do a professional job welding on a steel pocket which would hold three ounces of oil. Then a petcock would screw onto the pocket and regulate oil dripping into the HT tank.

daimok

May 1, 2011
NC
be careful on the ones on ebay , make sure to get a #1 or a # 1-1/2
thats about the smallest real engines came with

a #1-1/2 holds 1-1/2oz of oil . the number size is the ounce size of the oiller.

some of the oilers are bigger than your first. while it would normally be closed when riding if you were to crash it wouldnt leak gas but do remember it does have glass. you can get pyrex (plexiglass) to replace the real glass if that is a concern.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I think a 2-ounce oiler would be good for 100 ounces (3 quarts, 4 ounces) to mix with.

Do you know how thiese oilers work? What controls the oil drip? Am I right to assume that this screws into a non-pressurized oil line?

Why is there an open area between the oiler and the threaded part of the fitting? Is that so you can watch how fast the oil drips into the oil line?

I would have a threaded fitting brazed/welded to the tank, near the gas cap. Then I would fill the oiler the day before filling gas and install it onto the tank. Upon reaching home after filling the tank, I'd remove the oiler and plug the tank's fitting.

My HT tank sits on the rear rack, while my engine is frame-mounted. On my next Project 29er, the engines will be rack-mounted, and the HT tank will bolt onto the bike's top tube. If the brass drip oiler could be protected from falls, I'd leave it permanently mounted.

From what the pictures show, it is a beautiful piece of old-fashioned engine component.dance1

http://cgi.ebay.com/STEAM-ENGINE-DR...ltDomain_0&hash=item27bb205959#ht_1576wt_1139

Last edited:

daimok

May 1, 2011
NC
yes the area below is for watching how many drops while the top lever is up. the "knob" under the lever usually adjusts the amount. normal for these engines were about 8 drops per minute.
Lee W. Pedersen Antique Engine Supplies look on left for oilers , there is a chart on the sizes.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
As pretty as this brass/glass piece is, it's not gonna work for me.
It's a dripper. I need something that has flow capacity, not in drips per minute, but like in quarts per minute. The two ounces should be able to flow into the tank in less than 10 seconds.:-||

Methinks something like this automotive gas filter would work very well:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-B...dZp5197Q2em7QQitemZ300348236970#ht_1164wt_939

Last edited: