will my bike make it from dc to chicago

GoldenMotor.com

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
One thing to remember is the possibility of just taking the bus through areas where driving your bike might be difficult. Depending on the bus system, you might be able to bring the bike aboard and some buses even have large bike racks in front.

tallcrown

Jun 14, 2011
NJ
You forgot to tell him extra socks and clean underwear. You never know what happens out there on the road. Becareful too....laff

I can't think of much to add that hasn't already been mentioned by others. The orange vest and lights are a great idea, I agree there. I would say: use the practice runs to get an idea of what spare parts to bring along. Without a doubt you'll need a spare tube or a patch kit, or both. Spare spark plug (doesn't weigh much). Spare lighting supplies (bulbs, batteries if the system uses them).

My personal tool kit: spare batteries, spare bulbs, air pump, patch kit, dogbone wrench, light adjustable wrench, the two allen wrenches my bike uses, flathead screwdriver, phillips screwdriver, sparkplug wrench, miniature battery tester, clip-on LED emergency lights, test leads with spring clips (for emergency by-passing of broken electrical connections.) I think that's everything I carry. And each was selected to be fuctional but small and light-weight too. Everything above, and more, fits into this little box/trunk I have on my rear rack. With room left over to pack a lunch.

One last thing - YES! definitely, if you can manage it, take lots of pictures and document your voyage! There's a lot of us who'll want to see and read all about this. It'll help some of us make trips like this ourselves.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
You forgot to tell him extra socks and clean underwear. You never know what happens out there on the road. Becareful too....laff
Some on this forum will remember: I was in a horrifying (for me) accident where a Ford F150 made a surprise left turn and sent me off down the street, and into a hospital bed. They've heard the list of broken and cracked bones, dislocations, lacerations, deep bruising, steel rod in left leg, etc.

But I can say this: I did NOT soil my underwear! HAHAH! 'Sthat tough enough?

s butta

Apr 14, 2011
landover md
im bulding a new trailer for this trip it will be long enuff to carry all my stuff and light weight i may have found some one to make this trip with i dont know when im leaving yet but i will take picts i will keep you posted