cvt trans

GoldenMotor.com

eldo

Aug 23, 2009
illinois
I herd that a cvt trans cuts power down on 4 stroke by 15to 20% percent is this true? There are a lot of cvts out for about $70 are they worth looking into they look gooddrn2

stevolandis

Feb 20, 2010
NE Pennsylvania
What CVTs are you talking about? The only way I heard to CVT a bike is with a SBP Shifter Kit and NuVinci hub.(total= ~$500) Is this only for 4-strokers? Sorry I can't answer your question, I don't know anything about CVT on bikes...

john_the_great

Oct 24, 2009
California
I herd that a cvt trans cuts power down on 4 stroke by 15to 20% percent is this true? There are a lot of cvts out for about $70 are they worth looking into they look gooddrn2
By that you mean take power away? There is some "belt drag" plus the force required to spin the weights on the first pulley so a cvt requires some power to operate, but of course this is not very noticeable. The pocket bike cvt's will work on the titan 4-stroke's and the comet torque-a-verter's I would assume will work on the four strokes as well. The problem with the pocket bike cvt's though is they reverse the direction of the drive sprocket causing mounting issues.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Wow, even 15% would be an incredible power loss. Working on one now and will report. Really hope it is no where near that. At 2.5 HP, that would be significant.

Have not found a CVT for 70 bucks, can you post a link Eldo? Retail, we are paying $170 a pop. But went with high end.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Sorta off-topic but I thought some might get a kick outa this ;)

"In 1959 DAF started selling the world's first car with a continuously variable transmission, the small four-seater DAF 600";

(img taken frm 'Scrapheap Challenge' season 7, episode 11)

wiki said:
DAF cars had the image of being slow. The company tried to change this image with entries in rallies and races, such as their entry in the London-Sydney Marathon. This led to an increase in sales, but not as much as the management had hoped for. The company also competed with a Formula Three car.

* 1993: A Williams Formula One car was not allowed to race, because it had the Van Doorne's CVT drive. If that car had raced, it could have been more than a full second per lap faster than the competition. As Williams was the leading team already at the time, the F1 management decided to forbid the technology. It would have been the first time a technical development introduced in a road car would be used in a race car, instead of the other way round.
DAF Cars and Trucks

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
I Like My Cvt Bikes. I Have One With The Titan 4 Stroke And One With A Cag 52cc Big Bore Kit. There Seems To Be Near Zero Power Loss. They Start Out A Part Throttle With Ease, I Never Pedal Assist And I Weigh 325. A Friend Has A Hf 52cc Water Pump Motor W/cvt And Runs With 40 Mph Traffic. The Only Problem Is The Width For Frame Mounting. They Are In Most Of The New Scooter`s Of Many Engine Cc Sizes. My Brother Has A 400cc Scooter That Is A Rocket. The Belts Last A Long Time, $10. Ea. Ron .cvlt1

Attachments

Last edited:

eldo

Aug 23, 2009
illinois
Neat times thanks for info I see john was wright about running opposite way I see yours are rear mounts good for my trikes any particular one better than others ones Ive seen run average about $70 you need 78mm housing and Guess 7to1 reduction would be best.

eldo

Aug 23, 2009
illinois
The links Iisted above all have cvts just dont knoiw which one to get aqnd cant get any answeres fron sellers guess Ill just have to try.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
eldo, yes the pic early in this thread is the same model as my 3 cvt`s. some of them can be found with the 8mm sprockets if you are lucky. i would not use 25mm chain and sprockets. there are 1/2" pitch sprockets around with the 6 spline hole, for bmx bicycle chain, but hard to find. as far as i know, there is only one small scooter cvt available, the one pictured in this thread. the only option is black or chrome looking plastic cover. mine came with the chrome looking covers. black is usually a few dollars cheaper. i think i would buy black if i purchase anymore of them, could be painted a matching color. some sellers were selling them for $59. last yr, looked yesterday and i see they have all raised their price`s. in john the greats "link" in post # 6 is the model we are using. ron .cvlt1

Last edited:

eldo

Aug 23, 2009
illinois
Thanks Ron there are a few more out there (Motor parts 4 less) (Fancy scooter gas scooters) (cateye transmissions) I got them all in my favorites but I cant figure out how to get them here lol I did see the one you are talking about though I think $62 + ship (Scooter parts 4less) I Just looked they raised the price one place says $62 other says $79 Thanks Larry

Noped

Apr 21, 2010
Natchez, ms
I really want this and a hs, honda, or titan all to fit in frame. are there any longer horizontal rods for the three piece cranks that would fit around that beast?

be seeing you

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Noped, i believe the hs is the titan, I have 3 of them, 2 mounted. the hf 52cc is a quailty motor, sits lower and has a fuel pump which can be a big asset. cvt is wide and not very suited for in frame. anything can be done, but why? ron

Noped

Apr 21, 2010
Natchez, ms
Noped, i believe the hs is the titan, I have 3 of them, 2 mounted. the hf 52cc is a quailty motor, sits lower and has a fuel pump which can be a big asset. cvt is wide and not very suited for in frame. anything can be done, but why? ron
Well, Ron, i just like the looks of the in frame mount; i want to put luggage in the rear:) i know using a wider crank arm will let you clear the other trannies; how far off the motor does the cvt protrude?Is the cvt's length also a frame issue? and doesn't the cvt eliminate the need for shifting gears?

be seeing you

Noped

Apr 21, 2010
Natchez, ms
This is cvt info from a guy on youtube that seems to know hes stuff; his english is broken so it doesn't read well. someone check it out and let us know if the man knows what he's talking about.

"On CVT there is a sprocket 20 tooth. A sprocket on 41 tooth too small for good driving. The parity between a leading and conducted star should be 3:1 a minimum - is means that the sprocket on 60 tooth is necessary to you. Then the maximum speed at you awakes 38 MPH And the minimum speed 10 MPH.
Keep in mind that on CVT there is a sprocket for a chain with small step of 8 mm. This calculation is true for CVT with the general kickdown nearby 8:1. If you buy CVT with kickdown 7:1, you should put a sprocket on a wheel even more (on 68 tooth). Good luck!"

Noped

Apr 21, 2010
Natchez, ms
This one is more expensive, around $200 unless you buy 12 and i forgot to ask if it included their jackshaft; Jim Donovan said it should not be used as a fixed drive. So....
How do you guys think it compares?

link to maxtorque

Torq Convert

Oh and this one uses a 3/4" driveshaft

But..... it would mate up just right with this Honda engine:

Small Engine Warehouse: GX120HX - Honda Engine 4hp Horizontal 3/4" Keyed Shaft, Low Oil Shutdown, OHV, CIS, Recoil Start, 6:1 Gear Reduction

Wait; what am I thinking; i must have visions of high speed chases dancing in my head dnut!!!
I can't see spending this kind of coin today either, but it would be sweet.

What say ye?