New here. Built a bike!

GoldenMotor.com

ultralight01

Oct 30, 2016
Hood River, Oregon
Hello,
My name is Logan. I'm 15 years old. I've been building go karts for a while, and I just built a motorized bike. With 29 inch wheels it hits 32mph on break in gas. That speed is well before revving it too high, when the engine sounds rattatataty and you get scared.
Right now the rim brakes barely help, but everything else works great. I NEED a dual brake lever. Disengaging the clutch and braking st the same time is... hard.... actually bumped a car from behind at 3mph when I couldn't disengage the engine at a stop sign.
Yes, I ride this on the road without being 16, in Oregon. I pedal often to make my bike look just like a motor-assisted vehicle.

I put the bike together mostly by myself without instructions. It was like Legos to me. I needed to cut the air filter and do a lot of work to make the carb fit without a custom inlet pipe.

I'm excited to be a part of this forum. Here's my first bike (Yes, it's a roadmaster Walmart bike. Handles really well)

IMG_3284.JPG
brnot

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome aboard, Logan. You've done well and thanks for sharing your first motorized bicycle with us.

We should warn you however, that this hobby is addictive and you might find yourself wanting to build another one, and another one, and...:)

Tom

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
hard to tell from the pic, but did you swap your cables so front brake is on the right?

that will help, plus after a few days it will become second nature to quickly click the lock button on the clutch

ultralight01

Oct 30, 2016
Hood River, Oregon
Crassius, I didn't swap the brakes. That's a fantastic idea...
Man these Chinese handlebars (the plastic chrome part) are scuffing my thumbs. They are bleeding now. I'll have to fix that...

Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Hi there, welcome! 2door is right, once you build one, you're going to want to build more. I started at age 15 with a kit similar to yours, and I'm 19 now and currently building my fifth bike. I've upgraded some things since then though. I see you're from Oregon, so am I. I'm in the Portland area. If you're close by and interested in some upgrades, I'd be happy to help with that, we could weld you a nice expansion chamber, for one. About the plastic chrome, we could also convert a normal bicycle grip shift into a throttle for you, it's much more comfortable (I have this setup on my current bike) and I have at least one spare one lying around that I'd give you. I also have a bike frame that would have a lot more space for a motor than the one you have right now, a neighbor gave it to me a few months ago, it needs a few new parts, but it's yours if you want it. You could put a proper air filter on it without having to hack pieces off of it. Anyways, just throwing it out there, I'd love to see more people riding around here, I'd be happy to help, and I could probably save you from a few mistakes that I made on my first build.

ultralight01

Oct 30, 2016
Hood River, Oregon
Necromancer, nice to meet you man. I'm over in Hood River with my parents, and I'd welcome the help if either of us go out to eachother's area. An expansion chamber would be sweet, and I'd love some upgrades.

darkangel

Jul 26, 2012
louisiana
hello everyone. not sure if this is the right thread but couldn't find one for my questions. okay I have a china girl engine and I'm close to figuring out how to make her electric start, but I'm not that great at wiring so I need some diagrams and also is there a way to run the spark plug boot directly to a battery? say like a 12v. would I need a rectifier?or regulator? and if so how would I wire that up? need help please and thank you.

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
hello everyone. not sure if this is the right thread but couldn't find one for my questions. okay I have a china girl engine and I'm close to figuring out how to make her electric start, but I'm not that great at wiring so I need some diagrams and also is there a way to run the spark plug boot directly to a battery? say like a 12v. would I need a rectifier?or regulator? and if so how would I wire that up? need help please and thank you.
It's best to start your own thread if you're going to completely change the topic.

What are you using as the electric starter?

Which "china girl" did you get?

The spark plug boot does not connect to the battery, it connects to the CDI box, which is driven by the magneto.

If you need further assistance, post a picture or 2 to help describe what you're trying to do.