Doing my first build. HOLY COW!

GoldenMotor.com

burrus

May 25, 2016
Seekonk, Ma
Hey guys,
Been lurking here a little while and decided to sell my 50cc scooter and build a motorized bike. This forum seems to know the most. Been looking for a 2 stroke, reliable/quality kit. That's where the "holy cow" part comes in. There are just soooo many out there and I'd at least like to get some input from people who have some experience in building and riding these. Do I go ebay and eliminate the middle man distributor, or go with a company I could actually talk to. Also, is a balanced crank that much better? I'm about 250 lbs., so I may be looking for some upgrades to haul my butt around a little quicker. I.E performance carb, exhaust etc... Probably going to shop Craigslist for the bike. Looking at a cruiser or hybrid. Any suggestions on a kit and upgrades would be greatly appreciated. I'll be posting progress via pics/videos as I go. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Alpha Centauri

May 29, 2016
New Hampshire
Welcome. I've heard nothing but good about gasbike.net'e engines and bikemotorkit.com's engines. Performance carbs and exhaust systems are really only a matter of preference on where you want the powerband to peak, like in the lower, middle, or upper range of the RPM range. This is the case for 2 and 4 stroke engines, but 2 stroke engines especially. If you want raw hill climbing power and acceleration, go with a big rear sprocket, and a long pipe before the muffler or expansion chamber. If you want top speed, go with a small rear sprocket and a short pipe before the muffler or expansion chamber. Intake length and carbs aren't nearly as impactive on these parameters as exhaust pipe length and rear sprocket size. Hope this helps!

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
Well, I have to say that I've heard nothing good about Gasbike in the four years I've been on this forum. A balanced crank will make a difference and worth seeking out. For a first build I would recommend you go with a trusted vendor. Other members will likely chime in with their opinions. Do a lot of reading through the threads here and draw your conclusions. Build your bike up stock first and then add upgrades as needed. Not everything advertised as "race" or "performance" parts will give you more power or speed. Again, this is where good research pays off.

good luck and have fun, and be safe

Rocket123

Mar 27, 2016
Glenwood Springs, Co
I am a newb and in the middle of my first build after looking at a ton of kits I just ordered the dax little evil it was more expensive than most but I have only heard good things about their customer service.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Dax Dax Dax Dax wait I'll say it again, Dax! That's where good motors come from! They might be made in Nowhere Nipan, but good motors are born in Colorado.

Don't deal with gasbike, kingsmotors,it's just not worth it, they're crooks.

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
Unless you're an actual mechanic with very strong mechanical knowledge, get a good kit from a known supplier. I order mine from eBay, but I have a strong understanding of engines and all things mechanical. I tear them down all the way and clean out the dirt and shavings first. Then I meticulously inspect everything, clean up the ports, and check/adjust the crank trueness and balance. I'll say that 48cc engines are well balanced from the factory. 66cc are not so much.

Do not start buying bolt-on performance parts. Do that after getting the kit together. There is not much to upgrade in the stock carb. You get no extra noticeable power from any carb, and if you do it's because the stock one was jetted wrong. The only reason I went to a PZ16 carb was for the o-ring seal and tunable idle jet.

There are some expansion pipes that can produce power, but the cheap banana pipes aren't it. A re-worked pit bike expansion pipe will do the trick, but you're going to need a welder. I had good luck with making my own "poopoo pipe", but I must have hit the sweet spot without knowing it. I only made it so the exhaust would be behind me and not directed at my foot.

CDI boxes... You really cant get much better than stock. Unless you build and tune your own. Even then, you had better be knowledgeable with tuning and electronics to do so.

A good cylinder head can raise compression and give you some good power, but it's recommended to wait until 3 or 4 tanks of gas to ensure you have a good broken-in engine. Even then, you'll want a colder spark plug and possibly a higher grade octane fuel.

Do not start at 16:1 mix. It will oil soak your spark plug and fill your exhaust. I would start with 24:1, and after break in move to 36:1. That's always up for debate though.

Don't try to hit top speed right away. Don't take it easy, but not super hard either. You just need to vary the speed a lot while seating the rings.

Also, swap the spark plug for an NGK B6HS. You can get one at parts stores for under $3. Torque the head bolts to 120 in-lb, or 80 in-lb for 6mm studs (found on 48cc engines).

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
My friend Scotty got his last motor from them. He is not at all happy. Took twice the quoted shipping time, arrived with a dead CDI, which they refused to replace and after 1000 miles, he's begging me to tinker with it because he has no power. He HAS to pedal assist up hills I crest at 25. The motor has good compression, runs great, just no guts. I was refraining from posting on bike berry motors until I had been or seen inside one. I'll have the chance to look over the top end soon.

In case you didn't catch it the first time, DAX!!!! You'll find a link on the right hand margin of this page, second sponsor from the top, the little picture of a two stroke kit on a blueish background. The support for that company from it's customers, is overwhelming. Pretty much everyone with a Dax motor is a happy camper. I had an SD Stinger shipped to my door for $220, some 3,000 miles ago. I can't say it's a bad one, but it could be better.

Start with a good motor, upgrading a pile of junk is well, dumb. That's why my new pipe and a few other goodies are on the way, and Scotty is getting a new motor from Dax...

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
A balanced crank makes a difference and an engine with one will last longer and run better. If you get a cheap one from ebay you will probably get less miles before the engine fails. These little engines are disposable but you can get much more out of them if they are ported and have quality bearings and a balanced crank. You are over 200lbs so you will need more power to get up to speed. I recommend that you look into a good expansion exhaust pipe. That upgrade will give you more acceleration and power.

Alpha Centauri

May 29, 2016
New Hampshire
!Keep the shocks! My bike is shockless, it only has a sprung seat, and it's rough rough rough, even over just cracks in the road. Shimano makes really cool thumb and finger shifters, and they're called trigger pull shifters: https://www.google.com/search?q=shi...h=878#tbm=isch&q=shimano+trigger+pull+shifter And, that bike looks good, but, the frame tubing might be a bit big for the engine mounts to fit around if you're going for a a 2 stroke. However, you can make or buy custom engine mounts, sickbikeparts.com sells universal engine mounts.

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
You can always change shifters to trigger type. I've also seen grip shifters converted into a "suicide shifter", typically for the older Schwinn stingray frames (apple krate, orange krate, etc.). Food for thought.

And yes, keep the suspension. Tanglebones is a perfectly apt name for my bike...

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
I'm looking for a shock fork for mine, It's not so bad but sometimes there is a pot hole that is impossible to avoid and I just have to hit it hard and keep going.

brnot