Hand grips won't fit.

GoldenMotor.com

BikeSmith

Nov 28, 2015
North Dakota
Just got some sweet brooks slim leather hand grips over the holidays, but went to put them on today, and they won't fit. is one bigger then the other? can anyone tell me what the normal tube size on the throttle side should be? do I need to by a set for a motorcycle instead of a bike? really like the look of these. if I can get them to work. any help would be great. thanks.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Standard bicycle handlebars are 7/8" in outer diameter. You handgrips should fit if they're 'standard'. It takes a little work to get grips to slide over the twist grip throttle but it can be done.
A little heat, hot water will work, and some lubrication, WD-40 works, but the new grip can be worked onto the throttle side.

Just a hint, but WD-40 also works to get the old grips off. Insert a thin blade screwdriver between the grip and the handlebar and squirt in a little WD. It should twist off.

Hope this helps.

Tom

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
being leather, it may not stretch enough to fit

*** motorcycles are 7/8in like bicycles - harleys are 1in

on both, the throttle grip is 1/8in larger, so a *** throttle grip or harley left grip should fit your throttle

BikeSmith

Nov 28, 2015
North Dakota
Ok I will buy a pair for a motorcycle. just really liked these. they are leather wrap over an aluminum tube. with polished aluminum collars on each end. there is a small screw on the collars. to clamp them down. like a seat post clamp. so these will not stretch like a normal grip. :(