Looking for springer forks with a long steer tube

GoldenMotor.com

MacZulu

Jul 3, 2015
Vancouver
well another quirk of the Electra Townie is the 9 1/2" steer tube, which makes fork replacement a little more of a hunt. the Monarchs steer tube is 7 1/5", and alot are shorter than that. I would rather go with a springer than a pair of rockshox and the like, which would be the last resort.

I have looked, and I don't think I'm going find them. but maybe somebody out there has seen something. I just found Classic Bicycle Parts and am checking out their inventory, about 7"-8" mostly.

(edit: so http://www.classic-cycle.de/en/Forks-and-Parts/Springer-Forks/ is pretty good, and has a couple pricey options. but I'm still looking)

thanks

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
You can cut the top tube and put in a piece to extend it. Or cut one off another fork to the right length and splice it with a sleeve inside..............Curt

MacZulu

Jul 3, 2015
Vancouver
I thought about diy extending, but with springers I would then have to also have spacers with the springs to make up the gap. because they have a mount part that goes at the top of steer tube then down to the dropouts, so that adds some complication.

I need to measure my diameter because that site above has a pair of 26" with 1", I don't know if I need the bigger one.

Last edited:

boxcar

Dec 18, 2014
Astoria OR
If you are planning on using a Monarch style springer and your into a bit of a drive I'll do the conversion for you.
I won't extend a bent tube style though.
Astoria is a beautiful place to visit this time of the year.
You cover the cost of the materials and the beer and I'll be happy to do the machine work..........

MacZulu

Jul 3, 2015
Vancouver
Been to Astoria once, loved it. It was a beautiful day, people were awesome and it's very nice area. and the tower was an incredible view.

7458525076_7910158e6b_z.jpg

I appreciate the offer, but I think it's too far for this. and my wife is currently renewing her passport so I couldn't call it a "family trip". when she gets her passport we'll definitely be doing an Oregon trip, I love it there stem to stern you could say.