Top Speed, 80cc Chinese motor? what is the record?

GoldenMotor.com

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Definitely good news if it don't have to be modified... These things are tricky to weld partially because of the thin metal and also because of all the oil and suit inside the pipe that's near impossible to clean out completely..

As far as the silencer s concearned, if you like it loud, it'll be loud without one... I got mine pointing to the ground and it still makes a good amount of noise, but most of that is what's reflecting off the road and at the rider...

For the way these sound, it'll transform more to a true dirtbike sound which is a very pleasant note I must add

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
Just went out and hit a flat, straight stretch next to my friends Yamaha FZ1. He kept pointing up and too the right every so often and I thought he was saying pull over so I would back off and then catch back up. Turns out he was pointing at the 40mph speed limit signs. He told me when we stopped we were steady at 40mph sometimes a touch over or a touch under but pretty much spot on. I just found my old Garmin Edge 305 and have it charging so I can back it up with the GPS. The 700c wheels with 35c tires give a taller gear ratio than 26s but I feel pretty good for hitting 40 on a 44 tooth rear and my first motor build still on th stock pipe and carb with mods.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
well it looks like baird is still the record holder. stock head,carb, no exp.chamber, backassward motor and that cool ocean air. same at the races sans the ocean air. he's always in the hunt with no aftermarket heads,reeds, big carbs, just his legs and a hot ass full leathers. pretty fun to watch, not so fun to try to beat him. dennis

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
I spent hours and hours with the dremel porting and matching. Removed the stock air box and just have the filter element there. Stock pipe with the end cap removed and shaped at the motor to match the port, shaped the intake side of the piston to the intake port and removed a little more weight on the inner edge of the other side. Rubbed cutting oil on the rings, bearings, wrist pin, anything that moved and went out and pedaled the **** out of it with no spark plug and got the motor spinning as much as I could before ever starting it. Got the chain very lubed and aligned, put really slippery racing grease in the wheel bearing cartridges. High compression billet head, pretty much tried to get everything as efficient and balanced as possible. I have about 3/4 of gallon of break in pre mix run thru it so far. Oh yea, I soldered and drilled the stock jet.

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
the fastest bike had an aermacchi m50 head on it. my race buke has an mm ashtray head, ktm pipe, and a 22mm mikuni.

but my cruiser that topped out at 55 had an nt speed carb, straight plug stock head, modified gutted stock exhaust pipe with a supertrapp tip on it. and a 28t sprocket.

you can modify a stock engine with really good results if you know what yoi're doing. plus, it was the grubee gt4 starfire. those engines had more power, way better quality control and we're a lot better than the skyhawks.

too bad they arent imported anymore.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
the fastest bike had an aermacchi m50 head on it. my race buke has an mm ashtray head, ktm pipe, and a 22mm mikuni.

but my cruiser that topped out at 55 had an nt speed carb, straight plug stock head, modified gutted stock exhaust pipe with a supertrapp tip on it. and a 28t sprocket.

you can modify a stock engine with really good results if you know what yoi're doing. plus, it was the grubee gt4 starfire. those engines had more power, way better quality control and we're a lot better than the skyhawks.

too bad they arent imported anymore.
I've always admired your work baird, your ability to make your engines run so good without having all the fluff and snake oil on them is what sorts inspired me to tinker with mine, I've. Yet to have one that will run as fast as yours but I keep on learning and I like following you and a couple others on here who do things that work instead of thinking chrome parts equal speed and power, I've. Made a couple mistakes and bought into some hype but I just had to know for myself, we have straight shooters on here and we have some just out to make a buck on something that is a complete waist of time hope and money.....

But oh well we live and learn.

Map

.wee.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
thanks map. :)

it wasn't till last race season that i finally built up a bike with a bigass expansion chamber, carb, and afyermarket head. i had to do it to keep up with the arrow team.

i was leading the first coupla laps in the final of the last ride til my pedal seized and fell off, and i had to pull off the track. wait'll this year!

i always got a kick out of racing everyone with the stock, albeit heavily modified engine without all the bolt on goodies, but after 2 years of 3,4,and 5th places i finally had to cave in and build something to compete for first.

i'd love to have a race class where all modifications are allowed to the stock kit, but it has to use the factory carb, exhaust, head, etc. no aftermarket parts allowed.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
You're welcome...

Yeah I have a KX65 pipe ordered and a 21mm Mikuni carb on order also, I have several engines and I don't know for sure which will get the new goodies to see what I can make it do, I'm gona do one up a bit different that I've done before at some point, I'm honestly not looking for 60 MPH on one of my bikes but I'd like to get better acceleration and cruising speed power up to the 45 mph range.

The 50 mph engine I built up took a long stretch to get there but with a 24" wheel and a 30T sprocket it was turning around 8950 RPM's so the porting was working to let it breathe but I still dont think I had everything where it needed to be.

I dont care to go any faster than that, I just want to have a quicker 0 to 40-45+ mph, if I can get that done I'll be happy.

thanks map. :)

it wasn't till last race season that i finally built up a bike with a bigass expansion chamber, carb, and afyermarket head. i had to do it to keep up with the arrow team.

i was leading the first coupla laps in the final of the last ride til my pedal seized and fell off, and i had to pull off the track. wait'll this year!

i always got a kick out of racing everyone with the stock, albeit heavily modified engine without all the bolt on goodies, but after 2 years of 3,4,and 5th places i finally had to cave in and build something to compete for first.

i'd love to have a race class where all modifications are allowed to the stock kit, but it has to use the factory carb, exhaust, head, etc. no aftermarket parts allowed.

Johnny5

Mar 21, 2020
to elaborate, there's no chinese 80cc motor. it's a 66cc.

officially, there's no land speed record. there's a few videos somewhere of people going fast, but most of it's kinda sketchy.

i've seen bikes radared at the track with the top speed in the straight around 43mph, but those bikes are usually geared lower for better speed out of corners.

mbr and the aleman witnessed me at 54mph with a gps, and i think neil hit 45 on my bike that same day. i'm lighter, and was drafting traffic.

i unofficially hit 62 on the same bike drafting a truck using my phone gps, and then it blew up.

i've seen many riders hitting mid 40's in the street.

one of these days i'd like to issue a speed challenge, using the same gps phone aps, video cameras and witnesses, but haven't got around to it yet.
BS i have an 80cc Chinese motor.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
As far as I know 80’cc is China specks, actual is 66 our specks. The post you ar replying to is 2015 old......Curt

Johnny5

Mar 21, 2020
As far as I know 80’cc is China specks, actual is 66 our specks. The post you ar replying to is 2015 old......Curt
i had mine checked out at a ford dealership. It is true 80cc. It is a honda motor even though the company i bought it from was not called honda