Verbage question

GoldenMotor.com
Aug 21, 2010
Kingman AZ
Just to be sure that I understand what the manual is saying. My 48cc Skyhawk book calls for 16/20:1 gas to oil for the first 4 tanks. After that they say 20/25:1 gas to oil. Seems pretty straightforward. Then it says "In hot climates or long trips use a rich oil mixture". I have always equated a "rich" mixture to mean more gas than the air would handle. Simply put "do they mean more like 16/20:1 as in break in or 25+:1 ratio." It gets pretty hot here in AZ. and I don't want to cook my new toy. Thanks.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
It gets pretty hot here in AZ. and I don't want to cook my new toy. Thanks.
I run 'em 25:1 (2/3 cup:gal) of non-synthetic 2-stroke oil for the 1st gallon, then 32:1 (1/2 cup:gal) of synthetic from then on.

What will get you here in the heat is trying to ride too long without a break, unlike a 4-stroke you can start in the morning and run all day, a 2-stroke should get a rest every couple of hours when it's 100+ out.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Tom, I wouldn't worry to much either. I tried to fry an engine during a heat wave just to see what would fail. Nothing did. A proper ratio will be less of a problem, me thinks.

Years back that was a big concern. Over heating, but I never had a problem or read/heard of any one actually frying any thing.

"Verbage" is one of my favorite words! Sounds like a comedic word for food for the brain, lol.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I ride my 2-stroke in 100+ and I never "rest" my motor?
Heck I've never even went on a 2 hour wide open ride, all I know is I had a customer a couple years back that road hard 2 hours twice a day 5 days a week and when it got summer hot he toasted the 66cc 2-stroke.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
If your engine is not jetted too lean, it will happily run all day long. I don't run wide open more than a few seconds but I ride hours and hours without stopping for anything but fuel regularly.
Just don't scream it's guts out and your engine has no duty cycle.