66cc 300km challenge

GoldenMotor.com

scythyn

Mar 31, 2013
dartmouth
Hey I recently built two bikes both bought from speed demon and I'm planning on embarking on a 300 km trip 600km round trip. Maybe even 700km. What I'm asking is Will these kits make the 300 km trip without something breaking on it. I've never taken the bike more than 50km in a day. I have a speedometer in one of the bikes it has 256km on it and the only thing it needed was a replacement exhaust gasket. The newer bike the most recent one and the one I plan on taking on this trip has had the chain tensioner pulpy bearings let go and it was quite ugly. Has anyone ever gone long distance before? Extra part suggestions on previous experience traveling long distance would be good.pino.

scythyn

Mar 31, 2013
dartmouth
I have found a solution to the gasket. Permatex high temp or aluminium gasket maker. Works like nothing I've ever seen

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
300 km is just over 186 miles, I can see a well put together bike doing this as long as it is done at a reasonable pace, I wouldn't ride full out as fast as I can go for that distance, and Id have a few stops to check things out, like nuts bolts, wheels, chain tension and such, I've got several hundred miles maybe 600-700km without any significant maint. before, it all depends on how well the bike is put together and if it has been tested with a good amount of travel put on it so the engine is well broken in and proven to be reliable.

all things concerned in good condition and my answer to you is yes what you have proposed to do is possible.

700 km is roughly 434 miles.... now that would be a wicked long trip on a motorized bike.....LOL! Id be taking some tools and parts for that one, nuts, bolts, studs, gaskets... that would be a wild adverture for sure and great fun with a couple of buddies who had good bike also.

Map
.wee.

Last edited:

massdrive

Oct 3, 2013
Las Vegas
I have over 600 trouble free miles on my bike. I do a lot of maintenance. I pay very close attention to the axil bearings. I've found that after about 300 miles the grease begins to congeal and loose its lubricating properties. This may be a concern on a long journey. I think I would want a chase vehicle involved on a trip that long.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I have over 600 trouble free miles on my bike. I do a lot of maintenance. I pay very close attention to the axil bearings. I've found that after about 300 miles the grease begins to congeal and loose its lubricating properties. This may be a concern on a long journey. I think I would want a chase vehicle involved on a trip that long.
Congealed grease?

What kind of grease are you using?

A good High Tack grease is best, it will continue to always works itself into the areas it needs to be and dont be sparing with itentire axle as well as bearings should be heavily coated, that way there is always enough grease to keep things coated.

Thats how I do mine and the bearings stay in good shape for a long time when tensioned correctly.

Map

massdrive

Oct 3, 2013
Las Vegas
I use an extreme pressure high temperature complex grease. I am surprised at how quickly it breaks down. I cruise at 25 to 30mph with bursts of 35 to 40 mph. Another factor is climate, I live in S. NV the Mojave Desert. It is very dry and the sand very fine, it gets everywhere. Just 2 days ago it was 98 degrees already, today its cooler. Next month the temps. will rise to 100 and above and stay there 24-7 until sometime in late September. My front wheel has a sealed bearing, not the rear. I'm open to suggestions. What kind of grease do you recommend? How often do you clean and grease your axil assemblies? Everyone chime in lets open this for discussion...