Just a question

GoldenMotor.com

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
No problem! I've run into several bikes like this that needed attention for chain clearance, yet worked fine once this little trick was tried.
Good luck!

lenny9651

Apr 7, 2013
florida
the chipped paint is the least of your problems, that is going to grind your chain down until it brakes and if your at full speed when that happens... well anyone here can tellyou that can end baddly. don't ride it anymore until you've fixed the problem

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Maybe another fix would be to find someone with a tig welder. Just cut the section out were it rubs, turn it around so the bow is out and weld it back in. Cut it with a hack saw so the cut are thin,prolly have to take the rear tire out to do.............Curt

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
No problum back there especialy with tig weld. If in dought slip in a sleve at the joints..........Curt
Yep a correctly done tig weld will make that the strongest area on that tube.......

Use a piece of round bar cold roll in the joint and you most likely have the strongest area on the entire bike, even a good mig weld or braze job would not scare me in that area.

Map

vonericson

Sep 28, 2013
Astoria, OR
Well I'm no expert by any means but I have seen a couple videos with this issue addressed and it was simply solved with a couple washers to act as shims between the hub and frame, seems simple enough (maybe to simple) but for the cost of 2 washers and 10 minutes work I would think it would be worth trying. Hope you find your answer and good luck.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Wow, if the smaller sprocket gets it close to clearing, this would get her done.

Cool thought Vonericson!

Just another thought. When I have had chain clearance problems, I use masking tape to make sure there is no further contact made. But that is if the same point of contact were to be made.

Jeckler

Jun 4, 2013
Mesa, AZ
I'd remove the rear wheel, secure the dropouts, then spread the stays. If you have a couple ratchet straps and a sturdy door frame, you might not even have to remove the rear wheel.