Is there a go-to thread for what you'll need for a build?

GoldenMotor.com

Littlegator

May 17, 2013
South Dakota
Hey everyone.

I saw someone riding a motorized bike in town a few weeks ago. It was a 2-stroke, and it seemed too impractical so I just kind of dismissed it.

For some reason, I stumbled into reading about the bikes earlier this week, and when I read about the 4-stroke setups, I realized that this would actually be a pretty fun and handy thing to have, especially with the gas mileage.

So I've decided to do my first build, and I've been doing a bunch of research both here and on motoredbikes.com. Thing is, it's kind of hard to compile everything I've learned into an actual list of what's necessary for me to get my build on my way.

So right now my plan of attack is:
  1. find an appropriate bike at a pawn shop
  2. order a 4-stroke kit
  3. build and go

But I have questions for each.

What IS an appropriate bike? What sort of dimensions do I need to make sure the bike meets? I know practically nothing about bikes. I'm good with my hands and tools, but I wouldn't know what to look for in a bike as far as how things like sprockets should line up and whatnot.

Also, what KIND of bike do I want? Should I look for a cruiser, or would a mountain bike be a better choice? If I use a mountain bike, what sort of off-roading should I expect to be able to do? Also, should I go for a bike with rear suspension, or should I avoid that altogether?

So when it comes to a kit, which kit do you recommend? I'm giving myself a hard budget of $500, so that pretty much eliminates the EZM kits. Is the Grubee 4G kit a good choice? If so, is bicycle-engines.com reliable enough to order from them and not get shafted?

Does the kit come with everything I need? I'm sure I'll have to stop by the hardware store a couple few times for nuts and bolts, but is there anything it's totally missing that I'd have to order? Or is there anything missing that will be a significant cost? Can I expect the build to be $380 for kit + cost of bike from pawn shop + ~$25?

Finally, I want the bike to sound decently quiet and lower pitched. I don't need a 40 mph top end, so I'm fine with sacrificing performance, but is there a "bolt on" technique (or just using different exhaust) that's moderately successful with having to fab my own parts?

So are there any threads or websites that just sort of... walk you through every single step of planning and building the bike?

Thanks in advance, and sorry about all the questions!

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I'm not a four stroke guy so I cannot comment on which kit to buy, but I've been building mtb's for several years now and I can certainly help choose a good bike to build on.
Look for a higher end bike like a trek, felt, specialized, diamondback (older models) etc.
Your should look for a steel frame with good brakes, V-brakes at minimum, disc if you can afford a tophat adapter for the drive sproket (very good setup) You want alloy rims and good quality aluminum hubs, and comfortable riding position for YOU. Sit on several or test ride a few styles at a local bike shop to decide what you like. (I am older and prefer a more upright position to ease my back.) A good thick quality seat is mandatory on a mtb because you sit more.
Oversized or oval tubing can be a pain to deal with as well so look for more conventional designs when shopping.
Just a few tips I go by when looking for a build bike.
The type of bike depends on what kind of rider you are. Cruisers are comfortable and good looking but don't handle as well as mountain bikes. Mountain bike frames are usually stronger and easier to mount an engine on due to straight tubes and lots of room. The chain line is about as easy to setup on either style, but mountain bikes usually have better brakes.
I would suggest getting your engine kit first and use the mount to help you choose a frame. You can take it with you and test fit it in any frame you see to give you some idea of what will work.
The main issue doing this is having to look at the engine until you get a bike!

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
getting a disc on the front should be sufficient, with some kind of cantilever brake on rear

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
The tophat adapter combines the disc and sprocket mount on the same hub. It is by far the best way to get disc brakes on the rear if you want to buy the adapter. As Crassius said, discs are not absolutly needed. Good V-brakes work just fine, as does a disc front/Vbrake rear setup. Discs are simply the next level if you can afford it.

Littlegator

May 17, 2013
South Dakota
The tophat adapter combines the disc and sprocket mount on the same hub. It is by far the best way to get disc brakes on the rear if you want to buy the adapter. As Crassius said, discs are not absolutly needed. Good V-brakes work just fine, as does a disc front/Vbrake rear setup. Discs are simply the next level if you can afford it.
Ohhh, tophat is just for rear. I gotcha. Makes sense now, looking at it.

So ideally, I should look for a steel bike with discs on the front and V on the rear that has room for the kit?

Littlegator

May 17, 2013
South Dakota
Thanks for all the awesome help so far, guys!

If I could get these few questions answered I think I can get started on my build. Thanks again.

is bicycle-engines.com reliable enough to order from them and not get shafted?
Does the kit come with everything I need? I'm sure I'll have to stop by the hardware store a couple few times for nuts and bolts, but is there anything it's totally missing that I'd have to order? Or is there anything missing that will be a significant cost? Can I expect the build to be $380 for kit + cost of bike from pawn shop + ~$25 for misc?
Finally, I want the bike to sound decently quiet and lower pitched. I don't need a 40 mph top end, so I'm fine with sacrificing performance, but is there a "bolt on" technique (or just using different exhaust) that's moderately successful with having to fab my own parts?

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
All i build are two strokes but I have extensive experience with karts and minibikes so I can tell you quieting a four stroke is easy. Just add whatever muffler you like to the stock pipe.
I usually went with the tube style briggs mufflers from older lawn mowers because it is small and easy to mount.