Question about CC's

GoldenMotor.com

Outraaageous

Apr 15, 2013
Florida
For a friction drive motorbike, how big is the difference in cc's. Im having trouble finding a 30+ cc weedeater with a rear or back pull start. (so i can still pull start the thing once mounted) Ive found a bunch that were 25-28ccs with the rear pullstart. It will be mounted to a somewhat heavy bmx bike and im about 190lbs. Would a 25cc motor work well enough given the weight?

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Depends on the gearing, but 22-25cc motors are used successfully to power friction drive bikes. I am a die hard chain drive guy but there are many members who have done friction. You are sure to find the help you seek.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I had the same experience when I was planning a friction drive build. It's tough to find anything over 30cc.

Outraaageous

Apr 15, 2013
Florida
Well i've decided on a 25cc Toro motor, 25 ccs being the highest i could find with the rear pull start i wanted. The weight issue shouldn't be a big deal, I've heard it should do fine as long as i adjust my spindal size accordingly. kinda stuck at how to mount the peg to the flywheel, idk if mine has a clutch. If your interested in that part of my build, its here on the site http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=46592
Any help is better than no help! thanks guys

Last edited: