Thruster Fixie? Noob Diving!

GoldenMotor.com

leadfarmer

Sep 30, 2011
VA
Dumb nubie question: What is a "fixie" and a flip flop hub?
BTW, that frame looks great to motorize, I bet the engine will drop right in.

Matheneyr3

Jun 4, 2009
Carolinas
The Thruster Fixie has no freewheel on one side of the rear wheel- with that side mounted to the peddle side, you are always pedaling when the bike is moving. If you take the tire off and flip it over to mount the freewheel sprocket to the pedal side you can roll/move without the pedals moving constantly- that is the freewheel action that allows you to pedal backwards while moving forwards....hope that helps!

-Richard.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Dumb nubie question: What is a "fixie" and a flip flop hub?
BTW, that frame looks great to motorize, I bet the engine will drop right in.
A flip-flop hub lets you take the rear wheel out, flip it over, mount the sprocket on the other side, put the wheel back in, and turn a fixie in a freewheel.

A fixie without a flip-flop means that, if your pedals turn, your wheels turn - and vice versa. A motorized fixie without a flip-flop is a high-speed, heel slapping, eggbeater of a contraption.

meowmeowtime

Oct 15, 2011
Tampa
Ahh nice video! It was hard to view it (this video is unavailable in your country) but I figured it out eventually. I'm still wavering on this bike though, but I figure that if it's durable enough for a motorbike it should be good for regular riding.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I looked at one the other day. For $99 it would be a perfect commuter or bar hopping bike. The frame looked pretty stout, the bars and stem ok, the wheels ok but need to have the spokes tighter (easy with a stand and truing wrench).

The narrow bars were unnerving but comfortable, and the brakes were poop (plastic with metal levers, and small road type calipers. Lever travel is too long for good advantage, but they work).
Try sanding the paint off the rim brake tracks, and rub the brake shoes on the concrete a little to get them to grab harder.

The bike looks like it will fit 700x40 tires but not have much clearance left. I think it came with 700c x 35 or 38.

The bike should work fine with a rag joint, by using the fixie sprocket and lockring (or lockring and spacers) to center the cog, and using the rubber donut for propulsion.

700c wheels are quite a bit taller than 26" ATB wheels, so your 44t might feel like what a 36 does on a cruiser.

Someone asked about running a 22T cog with a happytime. I think it would be geared for about 45-50mph top speed!

I think if you buy this bike, pull everything and put some REAL grease in there instead of the little squirt of chinese snot the factories use, and adjust the cones all well, this bike should do just fine. If nothing else though, it's always a good idea to buy some real track nuts (spinning nuts) for the axles, and a better chain.

I'm looking forward to finding these in dumpsters and on craigslist for a sack lunch price.

Last edited:

haste

Aug 2, 2009
af
ive been riding fixed/track bikes for 3 years, this really caught my attention. Most Track bikes/fixed gear have huge room in the triangle.

Ive never seen a cog large enough to run the motorized side on it. I think 22 or so is the largest? Which is too small almost...I wonder how difficult to get a sprocket made for it to thread on the hub and then put the lock ring on...:) Im sure someone could do it.

can you reupload that video? Its being blocked here in the usa for some reason.

"Thruster Fixie 80cc Motorized Bicycle Road Bike"
This video contains content from EMI, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

xetaprime

Aug 31, 2011
florida
Yeah, I got the copyright notice for Ride of the Valkyres! It sounds the same!

FWIW, I wouldn't use a road frame again. Have I said that here yet? I bought it for the space but there was too much vibration. A beefier frame is the way to go IMO. And of course she was my first build. Live and learn.