What would you build?

GoldenMotor.com

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
If you were givin $1,500 to build a motorized bike..........what would you build? For that kind of money you can build a very nice machine with a good performance engine. What would you build and why?........and be specific. The base bicycle, the engine and mods, the brakes f&r, the wheelset, front fork, and on and on. Let's see some realistic creativity here......or not ;)

dnut

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
If'n I had 1500 bucks to build what I wanted to build, I would get a good front fork, some nice disc brakes, a good rear shock and a nice set of downhill wheels. I would take it all and build a frame it, and a good 4-stroke motor from a dirt bike. 50cc to keep it legal but with the ability to swap motors out, for up to 110cc.

I would end up with a full suspension motorized mountain bike and I would ride it all the time. I would make up excuses to ride it. It would be ridden on and off road, with and with out the motor.

But that's just what I'd do.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
If'n I had 1500 bucks to build what I wanted to build, I would get a good front fork, some nice disc brakes, a good rear shock and a nice set of downhill wheels. I would take it all and build a frame it, and a good 4-stroke motor from a dirt bike. 50cc to keep it legal but with the ability to swap motors out, for up to 110cc.

I would end up with a full suspension motorized mountain bike and I would ride it all the time. I would make up excuses to ride it. It would be ridden on and off road, with and with out the motor.

But that's just what I'd do.
Nice! Sounds like something I would like to build as well.....dual purpose, 4-stroke to be riddin on a daily basis......I can visualize it in my mind.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
I'd build what I'm working on now, a Dynacraft West Coast Limited with a Morini. Only thing I'd do is get a water cooled Morini :) The streched crusers are just too long for me. I have capsulated adheasions in my shoulders and just cant reach out that far for any length of time. The Schwinn Choppers are just too small as is the LA Cycles BigMo I got. I would have had to cut and weld the crap out of it to make it fit and the LTD is a perfect size for me.

...altho there's a set of 26" x 3" rims in the yard sale section that sets my mind to spinning...I could build my first bike from those.

andrewflores17

Jul 12, 2010
colorado springs, CO
full set of disc brakes some nice front shocks with a cafe racer handlebars good retro spedometer and tachometer on it probaly the 99cc predator with a ezm on it a nice exhaust pipe with a nice muffler on the back to help for that rumble effect a high flow air filter the sick bike parts twist throttle .dual led headlights fit the build would like it to be the same color as a jagermeister bottle (call it the jagerbomb) and a hub sprocket .

good thread scotto

one of the aluminum rear mount gas tanks if any moneys left over

Last edited:

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I think $1500 might just be enough (with some VERY careful spending) to build my design for an enclosed trike. I like the old Morgan three-wheelers, but my design would have the engine inside. I could used an appliance hand-cart for the light, heavy-duty frame. The rear section would be the back half of a scooter. The body could be an upturned aluminum canoe. The grill would have to be a custom job. Moped wheels for the front wheels. And I can make the leather seat, and the dash would be wood, and the windscreen could be from an old motorcycle fairing.

Hmmm...I have an income tax refund coming. How could I justify this expense to my wife without it sounding like a mid-life crisis???...

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Very nice so far......I see some of these dreams becoming a reality! I see some creativity and ideas flourishing here, this gives hope for a growing future of motorized bikes. It was just a vision in the mind that leads to my future builds and an inspiration to many others as well.......thanks!

dnut

Cavi Mike

Dec 17, 2011
Rochester, NY
Pretty much what I'm building right now. I've already lost track on how much I've spent but it's gotta be right around $1,000 so far and I'm not quite done.

Chopped Schwinn OCC Stingray, a nice peanut tank, real motorbike bars, risers, hand controls and rear tire, hydraulic bicycle front brake, outrageous blingy front wheel and a china-girl 66cc engine. The only thing I would have done different is instead of modifying the unsprung forks I bought is I would have bought a nice set of springer forks from choppersus.com.

*edit* and I don't think building a motorized bicycle classifies as a mid-life crisis. You're not picking up any broads with a motorized bicycle. That's what Corvettes and Harleys are for.

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
It would have to be a boarder , because I have become addicted to just looking at them an drooling , hence build one an make other like me drool .

toojung2die

Feb 10, 2011
Troy NC
If I had $1500 bucks I wouldn't spend it on a MB. I was hooked on building a MB because I can build a fun ride for a few hundred bucks that turned heads and got people interested. If I had that kind of cash to spend I would like to find and restore a classic European moped like a top tank Garelli. Those are sexy. But to keep the thread intact I would build a classic BTR with an ancient barn find motor to power it.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
*edit* and I don't think building a motorized bicycle classifies as a mid-life crisis. You're not picking up any broads with a motorized bicycle. That's what Corvettes and Harleys are for.
That's right! That's right! Thanks, I gotta remember that one when the time comes.

Runningwater

Aug 8, 2011
NY
I think I would try to build a budget Motoped for around that much. Try to cut corners and still be safe. Maybe use a K10 front fork and do something different with the rear swing-arm. I just might try my hand at it.....

Runningwater

Sgt. Howard

Sep 28, 2010
Okanogan, WA
The first purchase would be a reliable wire-feed welder that can run on 120 volts- then I would design a 7/8 scale 1912 Harley Davidson frame. Then the nessisary aircraft tubular steel would be acquired. There would be a great deal of research into the motor- mind you, I have no issues with the faithless little 'Happy Times' chinese mill... but if a four stroke makes more sense and is affordable after what has already been spent, I could go that route. I would do the Sager springer forks and set it up as a 'touring' bike of the day- yes, I LOVE the looks of a board tracker... BUT I'M AN OLD MAN!!! The idea of riding all over creation hunched over a gas tank has NO appeal to me, I would rather sit upright as on my beach cruiser and show some style and comfort. Peugot Grey with red trim and logo, some dummy aluminum to create the 'crankcase' where the chain tension/motor mount is hidden.
Cheers!usflg

David Jacalone

Jan 12, 2012
Topinabee
I'm new. I have a '50 Schwinn straight bar frame. I have a list of items that would be in my ideal build. A four stroke with a Q matic would be the engine of choice based on posts. Sportsman Flyer Monark fork, gas tank, wheels and I'm over the limit. I doubt I can keep it under 2 K. There are some nice builds out there. If and when I start, I will post it.

andrewflores17

Jul 12, 2010
colorado springs, CO
alright sgt howard u just got the dang gears in my head turing .

id realy like to do the same but build a 1979 sr 500 yahmaha its a 500cc thumper id love to have a small version of the same bike 4 stroke of course to keep the thump tune the same the big center headlight with a similar tach and spedo setup .

(some may not think that its one of the greatest bikes ever but i do got it for free when i was 16 it was sitting up against a barn for ten years new battey startedright up. )

QUOTE=Sgt. Howard;357757]The first purchase would be a reliable wire-feed welder that can run on 120 volts- then I would design a 7/8 scale 1912 Harley Davidson frame. Then the nessisary aircraft tubular steel would be acquired. There would be a great deal of research into the motor- mind you, I have no issues with the faithless little 'Happy Times' chinese mill... but if a four stroke makes more sense and is affordable after what has already been spent, I could go that route. I would do the Sager springer forks and set it up as a 'touring' bike of the day- yes, I LOVE the looks of a board tracker... BUT I'M AN OLD MAN!!! The idea of riding all over creation hunched over a gas tank has NO appeal to me, I would rather sit upright as on my beach cruiser and show some style and comfort. Peugot Grey with red trim and logo, some dummy aluminum to create the 'crankcase' where the chain tension/motor mount is hidden.
Cheers!usflg[/QUOTE]