studded snow tires...anyone use them?

GoldenMotor.com

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I haven't tried them, but now that I also am not in AZ, I would like to ride this winter. I will probably give them a shot, or use some DIY alternative.

MyPC8MyBrain

Aug 1, 2008
I have used them on my road/touring bicycle. 700x28 i think. I can ride across black ice that you couldn't even walk on. pretty amazing actually. They sound like rice krispies on the dry pavement.

Be sure to get them for both the front and the back.

cachehiker

Jul 9, 2008
Hyde Park / Logan, UT
Are you actually going to take your motorized bike off road and out into the snow? Having nearly 300 studs will handle black ice better but the gnarly knobs aren't meant for pavement. I think the Nokian Mount & Ground might be a better choice. They will likely squirm less, roll faster, last longer, and wake fewer neighbors.

I log about 30 miles on studded tires every year. Not much really but it's the red air days and the ice heaped up on the shoulders forcing me out into traffic that keeps me off the bike. I have an old set of studded IRC Mud Mads that don't fit either use very well: too narrow for deep snow, too knobby for pavement, and I average two years between true slop rides.

jg767

May 28, 2008
I bought the nokian mount and ground studded tires. They're excellent! Quiet on dry pavement, I haven't lost a single stud, and I've put over 600 miles on them. I'm riding through the winter, it's nice to not worry about black ice. Yeasterday I rode 5 miles through a pretty nasty snow squall. If I had my regular tires on, I would have had to stop.
Well worth the 56 dollars each..sno.

cachehiker

Jul 9, 2008
Hyde Park / Logan, UT
I recently replaced the old IRC's with some Kenda Klondike XT's. The Kendas are a much beefier tire that not only offers more float in the snow, they roll better on the road without the super tall digger style knobs. The only thing I'm giving up is that the IRC's never failed to hook up and maintain traction in the nastiest sloppiest conditions. All in all though, I like the Kendas better.

robin

Nov 15, 2008
Penticton British Columbia Canada
Well Guys its Winter up here again!! i had a real good test of them (studded tires ) today as the roads were very icy in the morning.I will ride my Morini on dry pavement and offroad dry conditions and my 40cc Tanaka with the 294 Nokians this winter again.