So much for upgrades.

GoldenMotor.com

ran49

Mar 5, 2008
So.In.
After a great bit of fiddling on my out of the box Boygofast kit sprocket to get it to mesh properly with the chain,I thought it might be prudent to get a proper unfiddled with sprocket,even though I had it working great.Heck,I don't feel right if I go more than a week without throwing some amount of money at my bike.
And so I did.Well I could see straight out the keyway on the new sprocket was way to small.Removed the key and after careful measuring and yet more fiddling got a good fit to key.I go to install it only to discover the sprocket bore is about.01 undersized.While I have a lathe I don't have a 15mm reamer or bit and I don't want to turn this into a $50.00 sprocket,so I chucked it in my tool box(graveyard)and think maybe a heavy duty precision chain might improve matters,not that there was anything wrong at this point.
Received new chain today and enthusiastically mended to length and installed.
I noticed it was a little rough going over sprocket but probably just needed a good breaking in as did the first one.So off I go,running good and about the time my engine is warming up and hitting it's stride it suddenly revs up with loss of power and I think oh boy,I get to fiddle with my clutch.When I look down I find my new chain draped over my lower fork and dragging down the road.Seems the mending link fell apart in spite of the fact I was very careful about installing it.
One thing I learned from this whole fiasco is in the event of a brake down to carry tools necessary to remove the chain as my bike peddles pretty good without the fricking chain on it.Next I plan to upgrade plug wire.Can't wait to see how that turns out.Will post the outcome.LOL Ron

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
half the fun is changing things and trying something new. the money saved in gas makes the changes very affordable

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
After a great bit of fiddling on my out of the box Boygofast kit sprocket to get it to mesh properly with the chain,I thought it might be prudent to get a proper unfiddled with sprocket,even though I had it working great.Heck,I don't feel right if I go more than a week without throwing some amount of money at my bike.
And so I did.Well I could see straight out the keyway on the new sprocket was way to small.Removed the key and after careful measuring and yet more fiddling got a good fit to key.I go to install it only to discover the sprocket bore is about.01 undersized.
This sprocket - which one are you talking abou?

ran49

Mar 5, 2008
So.In.
As I was sitting here drinking a cold one,trying to visually recreate the master link falling apart,I realized a some point the the chain would have to be about double it's width.Duh!Well this thought prompted me to check on how just how a double wide would fit through the tensioner and clutch lever housing.Turns out it doesn't if you have the clipped on the outside as I did.Luckily just minor abrasions on the motor housing.Actually if you have the clip on the inside it wouldn't hit anything.I did have closed end of clip facing direction of travel.
Cruiser:Your right,I never had so much fun.Thanks,Ron

ran49

Mar 5, 2008
So.In.
Pablo
I should have mentioned,the sprocket I'm referring to is the shaft mounted motor sprocket.Thanks,Ron

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Take a look at my posts on how I install and remove masterlinks on the chain done right your masterlink will last a long time. Install it wrong and you get to walk or soon will be walking. Now if I could remember where the posts are.:confused:
Norman

ran49

Mar 5, 2008
So.In.
Norman
Yeah,I guess I need to look that up.Just guessing,I had closed end of clip feeding through sprockets.thinking it was less likely to be knocked off..Poor fit to sprocket may have contributed.It's funny that when using all the original parts it runs great(after much fiddling).Maybe they've worn to fit or perhaps some sense of kinship.Ron

ran49

Mar 5, 2008
So.In.
Hey Norman
I wanted to let you know I have your small light wired up and it works like a champ.I haven't actually checked it out in the dark yet.Jeez,I feel like a kamikaze pilot in the daytime.Still working up to that night cruising.Ron

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Hey I like to ride more in the dark than during the day as it gets warmer here riding after dark is a lot cooler temp wise and I like what Ilikeabikea says it easier to ditch the police after dark.rotfl Best to run a quiet muffler too.
Norman