hub adapter question

GoldenMotor.com

proneto911

Oct 8, 2014
NW Burbs of Chicago
i recently figured out that my wheel is how would you say bent it is curently hitting the frame. i have the original sprocket and adaptor the came with the kit (the multi bolt 3 metal plates and tighten in the spokes thing) looks as if it is bending the whole thing.

Im concidering this when i get my tax money in. found 2 or two threads about it and want to know how big of a hub i need. The size and if my original sprocket will fit (think its the 44tooth) it was sold by rose326A. the chane and everything has about 400 miles on total. the current wheel on the bile is a 26 x1.50/ 559 the logo has a circle and in the top right is a striped W. so any help will be welcome.

Thanks,
Brian

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
That right there will solve all kinds of drive line issues. Kings has excellent quality products, but my experience - - - 3 time looser customer serv. dept. Never lost money but has tied my money up for several weeks at a time. He doesn't return e-mails or phone calls. Filed e-bay claim final time. You can't say I didn't try-
Adapters are 29.99 right now, Do this.
http://shop.jakebike.com/billet-sprocket-clamp-only-565.htm
Measure your hub diamater with caliper then choose your sprocket form the menu. If you have a problem he will take your call. I purchased many adapters and sprockets from the same and have always been pleased with quality and service.
You can view my happy chains album for ideas on how to mount without a tensioner, Also Mapbike custom cuts some very nice rollers to replace the kit supplied wheel, or on a final note Turbobuick makes a very nice tensioner which mounts on the engine case. RIDE SAFE!

Last edited:

proneto911

Oct 8, 2014
NW Burbs of Chicago

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
more than half of the sponsors on this site offer a similar hub adapter, they can also be found on ebay.
you need to measure your hub first though. that will require one of these in a pinch any autoshop/ mechanics shop should have a pair if you can convince them to measure your hub for you. they can also be bought as almost any hardware store (you probably won't regret owning one)

once your hub is mesured you can order the adaptor, they usually come with a sprocket, but if you want to re-use the one you have you may have to drill three new holes in it that line up with the holes on the adapter, as most kit sprockets seem to have the positions of the holes in them somewhat different from each-other or from the sprockets that go on these adapters.

I bought mine from BikeBerry, but for the most part these adapter things are all the same. buy from whoever give you the best deal.

and yes, an adapter is much better than the rag joint from the kit, infinitely so. they wont damage your spokes, they wont slip, they make chain alignment a snap, and changing your gearing is easy as pie.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The most critical issue is matching whatever adapter you choose to your hub. It can't "almost fit". Like the above advice says, measure the outside diameter of your rear hub and determine if the seller has an adapter to fit it. Use a precision caliper, either manual or digital but the measurement MUST be correct down to the thousands of an inch so you'll get an adapter to fit/work.

Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
on the Schwinn admiral it has a hour glass shape any ideas on that type hub???
That's what we used to call the 'Three Mile Island" hub. None of the aftermarket hub adapters will work on it. Some of the Schwinn Jaguars had that hub. Plan on using a rag joint sprocket adapter unless you change the hub.

Tom

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
not too familiar with this "three mile island hub" but if it has a spot to mound a disc brake you can get an adapter that mated the brake disc mount to your drive sprocket.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The infamous 'Three Mile' hub wasn't a disc brake hub. It had a shape like an hour glass only not so radical. More like the parabolic cooling towers you associate with a nuclear power plant.

There was a vendor here some years ago that was making adapters and he tried to make one for that hub but they were so time consuming that he said it wasn't cost effective. The shape required some creative machine work and he gave up the project.

There aren't too many around but Pacific Bicycle, (Chinese Schwinn) used them on a few models. I have a 2007 Schwinn Jaguar with one.

Tom

DRBS

Jun 22, 2014
Westland MI U.S.A
ok new question I have the hub adapter and sprocket now where can I get a adapter for the disc brake rotor to attach it to the sprocket any ideas?????

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
this page has several different disc brake spacers and adapters, but it also has a sprocket with mounting holes for a clam-shell adapter and a disc brake mount, you may be able to reverse engineer that, or use one of the spacers and a drill to add the disc brake mount to your sprocket/hub.

for the record adding the disc brake to the sprocket it a huge undertaking, expect the first several methods you engineer to not work properly.
good luck, I hope you get it working.

edit: this might help also