Hi from the Forest of Dean (England UK)

GoldenMotor.com

mostyn56

Sep 25, 2008
Forest of Dean (England)
I love this site & have spent many hours reading the forums etc.
I have recently built a "Happy Time - Starfire GT4 67cc" based Mountain Bike. I only want to use the bike off-road, as the area I live is mainly forest & very hilly. After fitting the engine, I found the gearing was way too high for most of the terrain. I've now geared it down by making a jackshaft between the engine & rear wheel sprocket. Now I can burble up the steep tracks with my trusty Collie (Cody) leading the way!!!
I've done a few other mods/improvements also, but now I'm keen to try & develop a centrifugal clutch type engine to suit my needs. It's quite funny really that everyone wants to go faster & I just want to go slower!!!
I do think that the shifter kit from sickbikeparts is brilliant, well designed & engineered to a very high standard. That kit gives you the best of both worlds - fast top end & great hill climbing ability. I'm saving my pennies at the moment to get the kit cause I want to be able to go faster as well!!
Best Wishes to you all
Shaun.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Welcome to the forum.

There is a pullstart/centrifugal clutch kit available for these motors. I've seen them on ebay.

mostyn56

Sep 25, 2008
Forest of Dean (England)
Thanks for the welcome one & all.

Yes jasonh, they do sell them on ebay. I don't know anyone whose had one fitted to see how well they would work on steep hills. I'm thinking they would tend to overheat. If anyone has any experience with these I'd like to hear from them.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Cool. You may need wide crank arms or be able to move the motor upwards in the frame I think. Just something to keep in mind...

mostyn56

Sep 25, 2008
Forest of Dean (England)
Thanks jasonh, you're spot on with that info. When I receive the kit I'll decide which way to go. Can you buy a wider than standard crankshaft so I could use my own pedals? Anyway I'll have to wait for it to arrive before I know how much more length I need.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
You can buy crank arms that bend out wide, and attach your own pedals to them. My Google-fu is lacking today, so I can't seem to find anything currently.

Or you can be cheap and stick your cranks in a vice and carefully bend them out like a wide crank. (might want to heat with a torch)