questions re replacing spokes with 12 ga.

GoldenMotor.com

stickerbush

Jun 22, 2011
Pacific Northwest
I want to have my rear wheel respoked with 12 ga. spokes. Currently the wheel has 14 ga., will I be able to use the same hub or do different gauge spokes require different hubs?

Also, as I will be having a shop do this work, is there anything special I need to tell them about the lacing pattern? I will be using Pirate Cycles sprocket and hub adapters and want to be able to use the flush-mount countersunk holes that line up with the "larger stance" adapters.

Thanks,
Stickerbush

oldguy387

Jul 5, 2011
Bethlehem,Pa.
You should be able to use the same hub as there are only three basic spoke patterns. They are either 32 - 36 - 40 spoke patterns. If you look at your rim and look at two spokes, if they are somewhat parallel and directly across (180 degrees) from them is an X, you have a 36 spoke rim. If the two spokes are somewhat parallel and the same pattern is directly across from them, you have a 32 spoke rime. And if you have parallel spokes on one side and the same pattern at 180 degrees you have a 40 spoke rim. Once you know what number of spokes you have there is only one way to lace that rim.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i'm not sure what oldguy is talking about above, but i've been building wheels for 30+ years, so...

obviously, 12g spokes are gonna be fatter than 14g, so you'll most likely have to have your hub and rim re-drilled. this is common practice, and as long as your hub has a big enough spoke flange, there's no problem.

you can do this yourself, but make sure you find the right drillbits so there's no extra slop. and remember the rim's holes are bigger for the nipples. if it's a steel hub, buy plenty of drillbits, drill slow, and use cutting oil. hub flanges are really tough.

a shop might do this for you, but most places aren't bike "shops" anymore, they're bike "stores," so you might have to look around for a place that has more than a crescent wrench and a tire pump in the shop area.

as far as lacing patterns go, the most common is a 3-cross pattern (one spoke crosses 3 others) but a 4 cross pattern is stronger, and only slightly more difficult, and your sprocket adapter will still fit.

in regards to the post above, the easiest way to tell how many spokes you have is to count them. or count one side and multiply by 2.

and there are many different lacing patterns, not just one. there's radial spoking (where they don't cross at all,) 3 and 4 cross like i mentioned above, and i used to do a 5 cross "race-lace" pattern on my bmx bikes, which is virtually indestructable.

there's also snowflake, twisted, and other decorative patterns for show bikes that never really get ridden (and are very weak.)

so back to your original questions, 4 cross, probably gotta drill the hub and rim, and your adapter will still fit.