Wheel Bearings V. Grease

GoldenMotor.com

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Wipe the grease off yer hands before typing on yer keyboard. Trust me, Its hard to clean up. One of my keyboards got so bad I just replaced it. One of the drawbacks of being a greasemonkey I guess.
fatdaddy.usflg

a_dam

Feb 21, 2009
Momence, IL
Sealed bearings are "permanently lubricated". Yeah, right. Most have seals that aren't too hard to get off. But these cheap ones I get from Farm & Fleet are a real mutha. Couldn't pull seal out with a pick tool, the metal crimped edge was too strong. I had to drill a tiny hole in the seal, screw a metal screw into it and rip it out, being careful not to damage the bearing, of course. That kinda deformed the seal, but it was easy to re-flatten and press back in.

Since I drilled through the metal seal, I thouroughly cleaned the bearing with solvent to remove all old grease and metal shavings - then repacked and resealed.

Anything can be done if you are determined (and hate spending money).

Attachments

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Sealed bearings are "permanently lubricated". Yeah, right. Most have seals that aren't too hard to get off. But these cheap ones I get from Farm & Fleet are a real mutha. Couldn't pull seal out with a pick tool, the metal crimped edge was too strong. I had to drill a tiny hole in the seal, screw a metal screw into it and rip it out, being careful not to damage the bearing, of course. That kinda deformed the seal, but it was easy to re-flatten and press back in.

Since I drilled through the metal seal, I thouroughly cleaned the bearing with solvent to remove all old grease and metal shavings - then repacked and resealed.

Anything can be done if you are determined (and hate spending money).
And if its a good US made bearing, It'll be hard to replace with one that's as good. I've ripped a lot of seal's out of "SEALED" bearings. Started out doing it when I was a kid mostly because of NO MONEY and rebuilding my Honda 50 engine every other weekend from using it as a dirt bike and blowing it up. It was NOT a Trail 50. I also used Ajax and Comet to reseat burned valves. Took a while but it did the job.
fatdaddy.usflg