Sprockets for Grubee HD freewheels

GoldenMotor.com

ishman

May 19, 2014
Michigan
I built an Electra Townie last year using the 66cc motor and used the Grubee HD axle w/freewheel on the back. My question: other than custom built, are there other sprockets available for this axle? It comes with the 44t cog as default, but I live in the flat lands of Michigan and would like to try a 40t or maybe a little smaller sprocket. I know Kings will make one for $50+ and that is fine, but I would like to try something cheaper till I find the right size. Any Ideas?

Ishman

Attachments

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
The best way I find is to adapt it yourself. I run those same hubs on my personal 99-212cc 4-stroke builds and I don't like the freewheel. So for starters, I just braze the freewheel solid and then find the sprocket size for the chain I'm using and adapt it to the big 5-hole thread-on adapter.

That usually takes cutting out a huge hole in the center of the sprocket and then drilling the 5 holes to mount it. Sometimes spacers are involved to get the chain alignment right. It takes some time figuring it out usually, but it ain't rocket science.....

Here is a pic of a sprocket I adapted to the 6 hole non-freewheel adapter for the same hub...

another I adapted....

and yet another on the brazed solid 5 hole freewheel

Last edited:

ishman

May 19, 2014
Michigan
Thanks scotto, after 108 views and only 1 reply, I gettin that vibe. I really like that green monster you've built for yourself, very unique and I like the fact that there are no chain guards anywhere, its like you have to be a badass just to ride it.
After getting a speedo for the bike and seeing that with the 44t cog, I'm only getting 24mph wide open, I think that I need to do some motor work, so far I have 2 intakes (1 long - offset: and one of the short, straight, billet types) and the pipe shown in the picture, I am not sure if it is helping or hindering. My speed seems anemic compared to some of the other speeds I am seeing from other forum members. I thought I would be closer to 30mph. Granted I weigh in at 250 but my landscape is FLAT!!
I guess I have just begun to pay my tinkering dues.

Ishman

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Thanks scotto, after 108 views and only 1 reply, I gettin that vibe. I really like that green monster you've built for yourself, very unique and I like the fact that there are no chain guards anywhere, its like you have to be a badass just to ride it.
After getting a speedo for the bike and seeing that with the 44t cog, I'm only getting 24mph wide open, I think that I need to do some motor work, so far I have 2 intakes (1 long - offset: and one of the short, straight, billet types) and the pipe shown in the picture, I am not sure if it is helping or hindering. My speed seems anemic compared to some of the other speeds I am seeing from other forum members. I thought I would be closer to 30mph. Granted I weigh in at 250 but my landscape is FLAT!!
I guess I have just begun to pay my tinkering dues.

Ishman
No prob, don't get discouraged, just keep on pluggin' away at it as you'll get it down eventually.

I didn't mention......you have to have patience with these builds as sometimes it takes some time to get it right.......take your time ;)

I've been mostly using the AGK 48T aluminum sprockets because they are reasonably priced, the right size for my application and fairly easy to adapt.

Keep looking and shopping around, it will come to you eventually :)

scotto-

Last edited:

ishman

May 19, 2014
Michigan
I appreciate the words of encouragement. I switched back to the short billet intake today and went out and just kept my thumb in it, it spit and sputtered and then smoothed out to clock 29.7mph, a 5mph gain over the long intake.
Just the inspiration I needed.

Ill keep reading, tinkering and riding.

Ishman