Fat Tire Sand Toys

GoldenMotor.com

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I decided to play with some Fat Tire bikes and made a couple of shifters, one 66cc with X-chamber and the other a 48V 1680W Electric.

Neither was easy to build but both are rewarding to ride /-}

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Sweet looking rides man.
Thanks snellemin.

The Sun Fat Tire has been fun to have around and my mechanic Cole's favorite build ever.
http://kcsbikes.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=733

The Sun is happy on trails and runs well in loose shale and gravel on a grade and just flat screams on pavement.

The Mongoose however is a hard to manage ~75 pound beast geared so low in 1st it can rip your hands loose with electric torque.
http://kcsbikes.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=753

They were fun to build and ride but time for them to move on as I have another even bigger MotoPed build to finish.

Last edited:

agcat111

Mar 28, 2013
Utah
Where do you buy fat tire bikes like that. I have never seen them for sale? I like 4 stroke but it looks like a 4 stroke will not go in the frame?

agcat111

Mar 28, 2013
Utah
The gas version has a frame that looks like it is more romy that the frame used for th electric version. Is that correct? Is the frame for the gas bike a specific model?

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
The gas version has a frame that looks like it is more romy that the frame used for th electric version. Is that correct? Is the frame for the gas bike a specific model?
You won't get a 49cc center mount 4-stroke in one, that 2-stroke just barley fit in the Sun Cruiser, notice the throttle cable?

I snagged that at my local bike shop for like $360 but you can find them on-line.

I did a search on Fat Tire Bikes and found the Mongoose Dolomite.
You can't fit anything gas in there but I had bought 3 of those triangle battery packs and was looking for a frame like that so what the heck, I went really REALLY big.

We took them out today.

They will both beat any stock 66cc in every way despite their size, but then both have extra power and gears so that is to be expected ;-}

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
You won't get a 49cc center mount 4-stroke in one, that 2-stroke just barley fit in the Sun Cruiser, notice the throttle cable?

I snagged that at my local bike shop for like $360 but you can find them on-line.

I did a search on Fat Tire Bikes and found the Mongoose Dolomite.
You can't fit anything gas in there but I had bought 3 of those triangle battery packs and was looking for a frame like that so what the heck, I went really REALLY big.

We took them out today.

They will both beat any stock 66cc in every way despite their size, but then both have extra power and gears so that is to be expected ;-}
Why don't you bring them out to the race October 18th at Grange and see how they do? A really good proving ground without unnecessary traffic. ;)

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Where you getting tires at KC? When I look for them I get everything but..Was on one sight and mebbe it was my add blocking in my browser. I get nothing really. Prolly too big for the machine I want them in anyway.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Where you getting tires at KC? When I look for them I get everything but..Was on one sight and mebbe it was my add blocking in my browser. I get nothing really. Prolly too big for the machine I want them in anyway.
Just buy one of these at walmart.....

.....for $200 you get two fat tires with tubes ($100 each) and a boat load of spare parts including a brand new frame (green or blue). Nice aluminum frame at that!

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
The bikes come with tires hehe ;-}

The green rim Sun has 26x3.5" Vee Rubber tires.

The red rim Mongoose has 26x4.0 NYLON tires and the only other writing I seen was P 1215-08 which indicates to me a 5 year old tire but I don't know.

Note the tire size is rim size, both tire outsides are 1/2" wider.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Just buy one of these at walmart.....

.....for $200 you get two fat tires with tubes ($100 each) and a boat load of spare parts including a brand new frame (green or blue). Nice aluminum frame at that!
Not a bad idea, use an otherwise useless to motorize bike for parts.

These fat tire rims and tires are designed to run with almost no air in them and have a steel belt bead to hook into the rim.

They don't come off or go on friendly and you need the right rim for them.

Good for snow? Heck ya, mud and sand too, they pretty much float over everything and now even Felt has a dual disc brake model out.
Felt actually has some really cool new bikes but don't look unless you have $700+ to drop on just the bike.

Last edited:

woogie_man

Aug 9, 2013
Fargo, ND
Been looking at the gt2a frame for my next build but if I can manage to get one of these to work that would be slick! Would ride this thing that round!

Would be cool to get another set of tires and rims, then use some small screws and bolts to make some studded tours for the ice.

Wish you were closer to be honest, would try to snag pond of those from you.....