Got stopped by the po-po this morning!

GoldenMotor.com

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Well, I was on my way to work this morning when I passed in front of a city cop on my new bike. He followed me for about 2 miles then stopped me. He informed me that these things have to be tagged in Alabama. Kind of funny that I've been riding them for several years and had many cops and a couple of newspaper articles tell me otherwise, but I kindly answered, "I didn't know that." He took my license to check if I had an M class, which I do, then he took it back to the car and ran my info. He then came back, handed me my license, again informed me that it had to be tagged, and then kept me there for about 20 minutes talking about my bike and looking it over. He couldn't believe that I built it. It really took some time and explaining for him to finally concede. Then he tells me that I should start building and selling them! He would be the first on the list. Then he went on to explain how his father used to build antique cars and take them to shows when he was a kid. He remembered seeing a motorcycle back then that looked real similar to my bicycle. I could only say, "Thanks." I guess it was a compliment, in a way. He thought I had purchased it. I know it looks more like a motorcycle, now that I've put the horizontal motor and saddle bags on it. He didn't give me any tickets or hassle either, just made me late for work by talking for so long. I guess it's time to figure out how to get a title and tag. I've got way too much money and time invested in this thing to just stop riding it, besides the money saved from riding it and the fun. I have a motorcycle and a scooter, but this bicycle is the funnest thing I have. I'm now wondering if I get an old 50cc scooter that has a title and move the vin number from the old scooter to the bicycle, if that would be ok. I know that when I bought my scooter, the manufacturer, Linhai, was not in the database. The guy working in the dmv asked me what the scooter looked like. I told him it was real similar to a yamaha majesty. What do you know, I walked out with registration for a yamaha majesty! Kind of screwed me on the price, though. A majesty is worth a lot more than my Linhai Aeolus, but hey I still got a tag.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I am glad to hear that you got away with only a warning. Hopefully it is just as easy to register a MB in Alabama as it is here in Cali.
You just might be forced to register it as a Motobecane! :D

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Word for word - that's about the same story as when I got pulled over on my Schwinn lol

Cops are so ...weird sometimes o_O

It doesn't work :(

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Well this is something to look forward to pulled over on a Custom Stretch Cruiser, with a 50cc chinese cloned horizontal Honda CT 70 Trail Bike motor or ATV motor they're all mostly the same motors!

Congrats Civlized on not getting a ticket and by all means keep in touch with that officer who stopped you he could be an asset if you are stopped again or as a potential customer!!!

Peace Crazy Horse.