Muffler Issue

GoldenMotor.com

all_thumbs

Aug 3, 2009
sanford, fl
Hello All:

Just got done with a build, or so I thought. Upon attempting to mount the muffler, I noticed it gets in the way with the left pedal. Other than bending the heck out of the muffler tube, does anyone know if there is a small compatible muffler on the market for these engine kits?

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
What kind of bike??
Is the pipe also hitting the frame???
Older Schwinns have narrow cranks & I usually just buy a new crank for $10.
Road bikes have narrow cranks too. You can also just swap the cranks for some from a mountain bike.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I'd want to know how bad is the pedal is hitting the muffler. Some of the kit supplied mufflers require a slight bend in the pipe to clear the pedal/crank. If there is just minor interference, 1/4" or less then you should be able to clamp the pipe flange in a vice and tweak the pipe just enough to clear. Some guys have had luck drilling the flange mounting holes out to allow for some minor adjustment. If the interference is excessive then replacing the crank with a wider one will be your best bet. Another option is fabricating a custom exhaust system which can be difficult without pipe bending and welding equipment.
Tom

all_thumbs

Aug 3, 2009
sanford, fl
The bike I am using is a Road Master generic 26" Mountain Bike and I am loooking at about a half inch overlap. Replacing the crank seems like the most practical way to go. Thanks for the replies.