I need help with my chain PLEASE!!!

GoldenMotor.com

daveet6666

Nov 3, 2015
Omaha ne
Taking links out of my chain got it to right length went to put master link on and couldn't because the ends don't match up! Wtf do I do now?

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I bought some at Orchard Supply Hardware. Just tested my bike using the half link along with the master link and it had no problem so far.

Kartooo

Nov 18, 2016
MA
GREAT !! dance1
it's almost impossible to get the peddle chain and mtr chain the same tension.
that 1/2 link on either one bails you out of a jam.
enjoy your bike.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I really don't like the 1/2 links for the #415 engine chain... They're always slightly off in size & don't 'mesh' perfectly with the sprocket teeth & can also hit the inside of the engine case.

I've found that it's much better to use a 1/2 link on the #410 pedal chain instead! ;)

Kartooo

Nov 18, 2016
MA
I really don't like the 1/2 links for the #415 engine chain... They're always slightly off in size & don't 'mesh' perfectly with the sprocket teeth & can also hit the inside of the engine case.

I've found that it's much better to use a 1/2 link on the #410 pedal chain instead! ;)
all my bikes have #41 from tractor supply on the engine chain. $20 for 10ft, enough for 2 bikes.
good industrial stuff, they hardly stretch at all. no problem with the 1/2 links they sell so far.

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
all my bikes have #41 from tractor supply on the engine chain. $20 for 10ft, enough for 2 bikes.
good industrial stuff, they hardly stretch at all. no problem with the 1/2 links they sell so far.
#41 chain is close (but not the correct chain for these bikes)... It's 1/16" wider & has slightly smaller rollers that don't fit these sprockets perfectly.

Lots of guys use #41 chain to try to fix chain throwing issues because its 'sloppiness' compensates for their rear sprocket not being true.

If your rear sprocket is mounted correctly (& spins true) & the alignment between the front & rear sprocket is good, the #415 chain is the better choice.

Also... chains don't stretch, the sprockets & chain may 'wear in'; but chains don't stretch.

& just to give a little bit of reference.... I use a #410H BMX chain on the engines of my race bikes! (I've never had a single problem with them).

Again... 1/2 links are something I feel work best on the pedal chain (the side that gets used less) on a motor bike. ;)

Last edited:

Kartooo

Nov 18, 2016
MA
does the #410H BMX fit the manic mechanic sprockets ?
what are you using for lube ? i find the grease real messy and i do not ride in the rain.
i usually clean em up with kerosene and prefer the wax type lube.
with just 3 builds under my belt i'm new to this hobby and sucking up all the knowledge i can find.

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
does the #410H BMX fit the manic mechanic sprockets ?
what are you using for lube ? i find the grease real messy and i do not ride in the rain.
i usually clean em up with kerosene and prefer the wax type lube.
with just 3 builds under my belt i'm new to this hobby and sucking up all the knowledge i can find.
If you have a sprocket made by 'Manic Mechanic' in Florida?, the #41 is probably correct for it. Most all the other sprockets out there use a #415

I use a light shot of motorcycle chain lube & clean them in gasoline.

Also.... (I shaved my sprockets down a little to work with the #410H chain). I was telling you about them just as a reference that the chain itself is indeed strong enough to use on a engine.

Last edited:

Kartooo

Nov 18, 2016
MA
used gas several yrs ago as my parts cleaner, now kerosene. it's easier on the hands.
thanks, appreciate your time.
i'm 3 months into the hobby and can't get enough !!
gotta ride, it's up to 43* out there....