Motorized trike for a little old lady going to Burning Man

GoldenMotor.com

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Here's a little 20" trike that I'm building for a little old lady who goes to the Burning Man festival every year.
She said she needs help getting around there, so she asked if I could help here out. These pics are just the beginning, (I still have a lot to do on it).

image-1285601652.jpg

image-2547157207.jpg

image-1243566000.jpg

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Sweet build. Miles of smiles with the trike and Burning man as well. I'll bet she spend more time talking about the trike than she does seeing Burning Man.

Steve.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I'd have to guess she has some qualified disability of needing it to get around while at the event.

I know they only allow gas powered vehicles that are approved as Mutant Vehicles that must pass DMV before arriving there, Department of Mutant Vehicles.

They have many Mutant Vehicles turned down allowed in, since so many people apply and there is a limit allowed at the event.

Stand up gas vehicles (two wheels no seat) that are under some rated horsepower may also be allowed without need to have it considered a Mutant Vehicle.

I usually take the Subway while I'm there.... ha ha ha! There was a whole camp based on that. Nice try though.

Electric vehicles are another idea, but the motors and batteries I've looked at had high cost, had me not yet going that route. If I get something electric, I might try swapping out the Briggs 3hp 4stroke gas and still use the transmission gear down I already have.

MT

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I've sold lots of bikes to people to take there...
I've heard the stories of gas bikes being banned (or just frowned upon), but I've never had anyone tell me they couldn't get them in.

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I got a little more done today...
I re-installed all the engine parts, made a long throttle cable & installed a gas tank that I used on my old race bike.
As soon as it's all finished (& thoroughly tested), I'll take it all apart for painting & cleaning.

image-3784296916.jpg

image-3040016361.jpg

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
The tank is a real moto-X handle bar gas tank made in Italy... It won't leak. ;)

I agree that a keg tank would look better, but I'm trying to keep the cost down for the old lady. :)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I hope she has as much fun on that as it looks like it can deliver.
What a great project, Norm. Thanks for sharing it with us. As a follow up it would be too cool to see a photo of her riding, or at least sitting on it. Possible?

Tom

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Unless the little old lady is 300# I would suggest you remove that rear basket at put one over the front wheel.
With all that weight behind the rear axle it's going to want to wheelie and that is disastrous on a trike.

When the front wheel leaves the ground it goes into a wild spin around the non-driven back wheel.

Been there, done that, not fun.

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
You could always throw some weight in it to test the wheel standing. it will be unmanageable if it does that.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
A wheelie bar would be ok if both wheels were driven with a differential, but they aren't.

Only the right is powered and it's way off center.

You can feel the pull to the left on the front wheel at all times riding because of the offset.

The second that front wheel looses contact with the ground it veers violently to the left in a circle.
The engine turning the back wheel will take the path of least resistance.
Depending on where the weight is, lifting the front wheel is easier that propelling the trike.