Yet another tail light/turn signal/horn question

GoldenMotor.com

bailsafe

Oct 23, 2015
Slippery Rock, PA, USA
Okay, so I'm an idiot when it comes to anything electrical, so bear with me, please!

I'm not too worried about a headlight due to the sheer amount of battery-powered LED bullet headlights on eBay, so that's taken care of.

What I want to do is get a nice tail light (running light?) and turn signal setup mounted on the back of my bike. Front turn signals would be nice, but not necessary, of course...

Would a motorcycle horn work? I'd like to use one of the Chinese scooter switches.

This probably doesn't make any sense but any help is appreciated!

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
The biggest problem is powering lights, horns, etc.

You can make anything work, but where do you put the batteries? You can add an entire motorcycle lighting system, with brake switches, levers, buttons, etc, but then you need a bigass battery to run it all.

Bicycle specific lights are usually ugly, and the turn signal, brakelight combos are cheap toys, that were never intended for motorized use.

You gotta be really inventive to make a system that's functional, looks good, and will handle the added abuse of a motor.

Plastic mounts on most bike lights break, with or without a motor.

Not much help to you, I know, but I was trying to make a functional system to sell, and gave up. Too many problems.

bailsafe

Oct 23, 2015
Slippery Rock, PA, USA
I've given up on bicycle specific lights (except maybe the Magpie lights). They're absolutely terrible.

Powering it seems like my biggest issue. I'd considered a rear bag with a 12V moped battery and recharging as needed, since the magneto isn't powerful enough to keep it charged as on a normal moped.

Brassneck

Oct 30, 2015
Seattle, WA
You can actually run a 12v lighting system (Motorcycle turn signals, head light, brake, etc.) with a small little battery (size of a cigarette pack). Here's an example of one:
http://www.batteryclerk.com/product...m_term=68177&gclid=COvp96TTmskCFcVlfgod0yQPYg

We use these on Kick-only bikes where we are looking to power the electricals but not worried about electric start...which requires a bigger battery for cranking amps... on a motorized bike, however, I don't know where you'd get the 12+ volts of charging to keep this battery charged all day (Unlike a motorcycle where it's got a built in alternator & regulator/rectifier for recharging as you ride)... However, you could put it on a trickle charge (lowest stetting- 2 amps) after your ride(s) and it should be good to go the next day...not really sure how long they'd last to fully drain, but they're not expensive and might be worth a test...especially if you're using LED turn signals/tail light.... The bigger bonus is that it can be put almost anywhere.

bailsafe

Oct 23, 2015
Slippery Rock, PA, USA
You can actually run a 12v lighting system (Motorcycle turn signals, head light, brake, etc.) with a small little battery (size of a cigarette pack). Here's an example of one:
http://www.batteryclerk.com/product...m_term=68177&gclid=COvp96TTmskCFcVlfgod0yQPYg

We use these on Kick-only bikes where we are looking to power the electricals but not worried about electric start...which requires a bigger battery for cranking amps... on a motorized bike, however, I don't know where you'd get the 12+ volts of charging to keep this battery charged all day (Unlike a motorcycle where it's got a built in alternator & regulator/rectifier for recharging as you ride)... However, you could put it on a trickle charge (lowest stetting- 2 amps) after your ride(s) and it should be good to go the next day...not really sure how long they'd last to fully drain, but they're not expensive and might be worth a test...especially if you're using LED turn signals/tail light.... The bigger bonus is that it can be put almost anywhere.
Do you think it'd be worth it to try one with a little more amperage? Maybe a 1.3Ah or 3.2Ah?

Brassneck

Oct 30, 2015
Seattle, WA
Do you think it'd be worth it to try one with a little more amperage? Maybe a 1.3Ah or 3.2Ah?
You could...but I'm not sure how much that changes the size or weight?

I would think the .8Ah's is sufficient... if you consider the draw of a typical LED turn signal/tail light (motorcycle)...I think the average is around 26 milliamps. Generally you only have one signal on at once, and for a short time...(unless you're using them as running lights too)...but essentially, with a tail light, if you have it on ALL the time, it's drawing at about .026 amps and with a .8Ah...which is about 30 hours? (If I'm doing the math right). Reduce that by a few hours to use the turn signals... and you're probably still within a full day's use without having to recharge. If your tail light has a brake light option...then it would draw more when that's on...but again...how much riding can you do in a day?

Just have to remember to recharge the battery. :)

bailsafe

Oct 23, 2015
Slippery Rock, PA, USA
You could...but I'm not sure how much that changes the size or weight?

I would think the .8Ah's is sufficient... if you consider the draw of a typical LED turn signal/tail light (motorcycle)...I think the average is around 26 milliamps. Generally you only have one signal on at once, and for a short time...(unless you're using them as running lights too)...but essentially, with a tail light, if you have it on ALL the time, it's drawing at about .026 amps and with a .8Ah...which is about 30 hours? (If I'm doing the math right). Reduce that by a few hours to use the turn signals... and you're probably still within a full day's use without having to recharge. If your tail light has a brake light option...then it would draw more when that's on...but again...how much riding can you do in a day?

Just have to remember to recharge the battery. :)
I'm kinda curious if it's possible to get multiple days' use out of a bigger battery.

Also, might it be possible to charge the battery by a dynamo generator? Though the bike might be moving too fast...not sure.

Brassneck

Oct 30, 2015
Seattle, WA
I suppose it depends on if the dynamo gives off AC or DC current? I'm guessing it converts to DC...but I'm not familiar with them to know, nor how well they work. I recall back in the day they were mostly 6v...so if they have a 12v, then that would be the one I'd try as you'll need that for quality turn signals, etc. that require 12v. Then again, if you're using one then you can probably power the whole system with one and no need for a battery... right? Although it would only work if your bike is in motion...

The other issue is mounting it.

bailsafe

Oct 23, 2015
Slippery Rock, PA, USA
I suppose it depends on if the dynamo gives off AC or DC current? I'm guessing it converts to DC...but I'm not familiar with them to know, nor how well they work. I recall back in the day they were mostly 6v...so if they have a 12v, then that would be the one I'd try as you'll need that for quality turn signals, etc. that require 12v. Then again, if you're using one then you can probably power the whole system with one and no need for a battery... right? Although it would only work if your bike is in motion...

The other issue is mounting it.
I might as well try a 1.3Ah battery, don't really want to screw with a dynamo right now. I'd rather just recharge as needed.

Now the next step is just figuring out how to wire it all up ;;

Brassneck

Oct 30, 2015
Seattle, WA
That's the easy part...ha ha. Make a wiring loom to each unit...you can add switches where needed, you could probably get a motorcycle turn signal switch from a salvage yard cheap...would likely have a horn button on it too. I'd add an in line fuse, and get a quick disconnect for the battery, so you can pull it to charge.

Good luck.

bailsafe

Oct 23, 2015
Slippery Rock, PA, USA
That's the easy part...ha ha. Make a wiring loom to each unit...you can add switches where needed, you could probably get a motorcycle turn signal switch from a salvage yard cheap...would likely have a horn button on it too. I'd add an in line fuse, and get a quick disconnect for the battery, so you can pull it to charge.

Good luck.
You underestimate me and my incompetence of all things electrical! I'll have to brush up and see which wire goes where, how to add a fuse and a disconnect, and buy some equipment...

Brassneck

Oct 30, 2015
Seattle, WA
Yep, a flasher relay...they're like $5-15 depending on the style..and you can get them at any auto supply store. Ideally you'll want an LED one. I have a buddy who used this:
https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...versal-motorcycle-electronic-flasher/193/841/

He wired the relay from the positive on battery to the switch, then the switch to each turn signal. Note, the turn signals need to be grounded back to the battery...

Here's a simple schematic... just ignore the ignition switch as you won't have one.

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
Yup. I converted my front light to run off a 3.7 lipo and my speedo runs off a 11.1 lipo and both are hidden.I've been into rcs for a long time so I had the batteries so I thought why not.