Two new motors... almost...

GoldenMotor.com

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Getting new motors.. nothing better than it!!

Two 3.5hp motors.. both CA legal.. both new.. almost..

Engine 1

Was bringing my neighbor some black figs.. Got this NOS motor. One of those "it was sitting in the corner collecting dust for 35yrs" stories.. but this one has less than 10hrs on it!

Did not start as is. Needs a new float and seals. Have a replacement here and will probably get it running tomorrow.

Look like this motor is a direct bolt-on to my bike. Not only is the carburetor exactly the same (I like the tec H35 carb on the briggs; its practically a direct bolt-on). It even has the same type of crankshaft, 3/4" with keyway. I will get it running and bolt it right on and see how it goes.

Engine 2

Finally got my shortblock in. It's an Industrial Plus with the iron sleeved cylinder. It's replacing the koolbore (al cylinder) in my bike because when I bought it, I didn't know any better and did not notice the crankshaft runout at the back until I tore it down to do porting and valve work. The second time I tore it down the flywheel would move almost 20 thou up, so I would have to set my magneto like 30 thou away from the non-magnet side. It ran OK but 25+ hours later, it sometimes doesn't fire and generally just runs like sh*t.

The old motor did its job; took me to school and back for the summer (15mi round trip daily.

This one's an older model, I guess. My old motor was a 1998 and had the air vane governor and crankshaft that ended at the flywheel threads. Any ideas as to the approximate year? The only number I can find for it is Short Block 497194 for the 93400 model series (3.5hp Industrial Plus)

However, since my old motor parts are going on this one, some engine paint is in order... I think its time to start making the bike look pretty.

Also there is only .004" exhaust valve lash and none on the intake. Years of metal stretching!

The tec will go on the current bike for now.. once the new block is ready, will swap it back.. maybe build a bike to sell.. have a CVT, some wheels and tires.. assorted parts.. for the next project :D

Last edited: