Part of chain is hitting lip of chain tensioner wheel

GoldenMotor.com

michaelbikin

Jul 9, 2015
New Hampshire
What should I do? I have my chain tensioner centered almost perfectly so that the chain isn't on one

side more than the other and come off part of the rear sprocket, and also, I have the tensioner wheel

set a little above so that the wheel spins, but since I don't think my rear sprocket is directly behind a

straight line from the drive sprocket, and there is a slight curve, the chain is hitting the part that sticks

out/lip/side of the chain tensioner and it putting indents in the pins of the chain links. Do i need to get

one of those chain tensioners that work with a 10 tooth drive sprocket? or should I make one my

own? I plan on always having a chain tensioner on my bike, and never not using one. I have an extra

engine that I can take the 10 tooth drive sprocket off? Is that my best bet, or is there an easier fix?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
without a pic, it is hard to tell what's going on - if tensioner is old style without locking pulley bolt, you may be able to add a washer or 2 to shift it over a bit, otherwise you may have to take it off and bent the arm a bit in a vise or something

note: some 1/2 links have long pins that can hit as they go thru

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
My chain stays angle out, so the tensioner angled out, so I bent it to be aligned with the chain run. All part of motor bicycling, modifying parts to make it all work.
Nothing really just fits, at least on my bike they didn't.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Like Crassius said, photos would help us make suggestions. Nevertheless, if the chain is hitting the lips of the tensioner wheel then it isn't aligned with the chain properly.

If your sprockets aren't aligned and the tensioner is acting as a 'guide' to get the chain to align with the sprocket, that's your problem. The tensioner should only be used to keep the chain tight. Not to drag it to one side or the other to get it to mount the sprocket.

Tom

Attachments

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Thank you Tom for that awesome diagram! I was trying to explain this to my nephew the other day, this will help. (No offence to the OP, I found it helpful to myself too)