3+ speed automatic jackshaft idea

GoldenMotor.com

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
Awesome!

I myself have had to add three heavy duty turn buckles on the specific chain aligment componenents for flex.

DOnt ya just love that feeling when you pass someone after shifting?

.shft.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Awesome!

I myself have had to add three heavy duty turn buckles on the specific chain aligment componenents for flex.

DOnt ya just love that feeling when you pass someone after shifting?

.shft.
Yes, yes I do! And the engine really has excellent power. If I hit a medium hill going about 35 in top gear the bike will accelerate up it too!

I'm about to put in some modded engine parts. I hand ground my own cam from a spare one, put a degree wheel and cut a hole in the side of a scrap block to measure and mark it. Also welded my lifters to add the reduction in base circle. Gonna advance timing as well. I'm looking at .020" more lift on both lobes! It's gonna fly after this!

Attachments

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Yes, yes I do! And the engine really has excellent power. If I hit a medium hill going about 35 in top gear the bike will accelerate up it too!

I'm about to put in some modded engine parts. I hand ground my own cam from a spare one, put a degree wheel and cut a hole in the side of a scrap block to measure and mark it. Also welded my lifters to add the reduction in base circle. Gonna advance timing as well. I'm looking at .020" more lift on both lobes! It's gonna fly after this!
KOOOOOL, how far you going to advance the timing?.......Curt

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Cool. Advancing the timing really helps your top end. I recently fabricated a cable operated advance mechanism for my bike with the 2 speed auto. I made a cover and installed a ball bearing centered on the crankshaft and made the flywheel retaining nut pass through it. Then I mounted the magneto coil/module to the cover. A lever on the bars moves it from stock up to about 8 degrees extra advance. The mag pivots on the crank center keeping the air gap correct. It starts easily and I get e few hundred more rpms when I need it. The last 2 photos show stock position and fully advanced.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Wow Dale!! Man you never fail to impress, that adjustable timing is very ingenious! Thank you for the kind words. Yep this project has evolved quite a bit being my first bike. Curtis I'm thinking maybe 6 degrees? I will try it see how it works. The top end on this bike stops at 6k and I don't know how much more the flywheel and rod can take if I upgrade the valve springs. Hoping I can move back to my taller gear ratio and move the shift rpm up to 30mph from 24; it overheats the clutches quickly on a long hill climb trying to shift but not being able to.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Yes he is, and keeping me glued to my seat watching. Thinking on doing one myself later down the creek ( live long enough LOL ) Love all this stuff, why didn't i think of that kind of stuff. Never to old to learn...................Curt