Kip Burbank in Melbourne, Ft. Laud, Florida

GoldenMotor.com

KipBurbank

May 27, 2008
I built a bike about 4 years ago with Chinese 49 cc and I still have it. Originally it was on a Huffy Surfside. I photographed it in my living room and now I see it on all the Ebay ads, that's kind of funny. I took the engine off and put it on an Electra Classic because it was big and heavy and strong. The Huffy was shaking all over. Zip ahead to today and I realized that these are decent inexpensive kits. Mine must have 1500 or 2000 miles on it. I had a odometer but it quit years ago. Recently a friend and I have been toying with a few bikes and sold them. So far people like them. Even my friend, who is not much (at all) of a mechanic wanted one. I gave him a new one that I set up. In a day or two he was calling me with, "what do I do's?" He's already racked up a lot of miles in Sunny Palm Beach FL. He even took apart the carb, checked wiring, the plug, etc, all this from a guy who never worked on a mechanical thing. But the allure of the fun-ness of the bike inspired him to do it, and he did it, now he's riding and loving it.

So I ordered a couple engines lately from California. I buy from BoyGoFast, his ebay name. He has my old Huffy on his web site, still cracks me up how that photo circulated from so long ago. Anyway,..I am going to try to post a couple photos, of my Electra and the newer Kuluna. PS...The Kuluna is a great bike for the money, no kidding. At $99 at Wal-Mart the bike is strong, good looking, white walls, fenders, excellent brakes and aluminum. The best part is the lack of modifications needed, almost none. Everything fit like it was make for the bike. That's just my observation compared to the installation on the Electra, the Kuluna was so easy. OK, enough said,..now I am going to put on some photos.............OK can't figure out the photo posting process. But here is a Youtube video from this weekend with the Kuluna and my goofy friend Geoff riding it.
YouTube - Motor bike, bicycle the Motorized bike

KipBurbank

May 27, 2008
IMG_0066.jpg

IMG_0108.jpg Thank you for the "Welcomes" hope to meet some of my fellow motor-bikers in person. I got a notion to try to get a moped tag for my motorbike. The Florida Satatute is pretty darn clear about what a moped is and is separate, in writing, from a motor vehicle. Under the FSS traffic laws definitions, Motor Vehicle is defined in section 21, moped is 77. Section 21 says, a Moped is NOT a motor vehicle and thus exempt from the motor vehicle status. What is does say in the Moped section (not the scooter section because that's for electric wheel chairs) is that it must: Have pedal operation, 50cc or less engine if and enternal combustion engine is used, less than 2 brake horse power, have a seat for the rider, cannot exceed 30 mph on flat ground, can not have gears to shift once the engine is engaged. That's about it. So I went to the DMV and asked to register my 49cc moped. Fifteen minutes later I left with a new Florida license plate and a registration for my motorbike. I figured that if the statute spells out exactly what a moped is and my bike fits the description, why not register it and for go the chance of running in to a P.O. who wants to write a citation. So now, I am legal in all respects.

PS that is my Friend Wayne in the photos, he sells the Kuluna long the Sebastian Beach to the Locals. The old crusty looking cruiser with the license tag is mine.

Attachments

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
nice bikes kip. nothing crusty about you motorized bicycle. i love the saddle bags. glad to have you with us and hope you enjoy the site
:ride2:

misteright1_99

Mar 21, 2008
Treasure Coast, Florida
View attachment 805

View attachment 806 Thank you for the "Welcomes" hope to meet some of my fellow motor-bikers in person. I got a notion to try to get a moped tag for my motorbike. The Florida Satatute is pretty darn clear about what a moped is and is separate, in writing, from a motor vehicle. Under the FSS traffic laws definitions, Motor Vehicle is defined in section 21, moped is 77. Section 21 says, a Moped is NOT a motor vehicle and thus exempt from the motor vehicle status. What is does say in the Moped section (not the scooter section because that's for electric wheel chairs) is that it must: Have pedal operation, 50cc or less engine if and enternal combustion engine is used, less than 2 brake horse power, have a seat for the rider, cannot exceed 30 mph on flat ground, can not have gears to shift once the engine is engaged. That's about it. So I went to the DMV and asked to register my 49cc moped. Fifteen minutes later I left with a new Florida license plate and a registration for my motorbike. I figured that if the statute spells out exactly what a moped is and my bike fits the description, why not register it and for go the chance of running in to a P.O. who wants to write a citation. So now, I am legal in all respects.

PS that is my Friend Wayne in the photos, he sells the Kuluna long the Sebastian Beach to the Locals. The old crusty looking cruiser with the license tag is mine.
If you register it as a moped, then dont you have to have all the red'd equipment, such as light, turn signals, horn? What county are you in Broward, Brevard? How much was the tag? Was insurance req'd? Just curious...

KipBurbank

May 27, 2008
According to the statute, there is nothing stated about lights, horn etc. It's really specific. Florida Motor vehicle definitions #76 or 77 describes a moped and it is an exemption to the classification of motor vehicle. If I wasn't in a pinch for time right now, I would explain more or we could exchange phone numbers.

Kip

YouTube - KipWay Motorbike, Moped bicycle Motor

MarkTur

May 23, 2008
Hi Kip - welcome from Boynton Beach!

I have a Blue Kulana - the "Blue Dog"....I really like it, but dumping way too much money into it! :)

Tell us about your lights, please.

Scooter Trash

Jul 6, 2008
Hi Kip, saw Waynes Listing on C.List/Treasure Coast and saw the YouTube gig, thought I would try to build one on my own. They look like alot of fun...will probably go the Kuluna route from Wal-Mart, just to get something up and running, then just tinker with another from there....

ghostracer

Apr 27, 2015
West Palm Beach
The link you posted is not working. I want to see the video and this bike. Repost please.

But here is a Youtube video from this weekend with the Kuluna
and my goofy friend Geoff riding it.
YouTube - Motor bike, bicycle the Motorized bike

-Ghostracer

KipBurbank

May 27, 2008
The video was accidentally deleted, along with all my YouTube videos when I deleted a google account. Sorry.