Openions on the 9X Cree XML T6 headlight

GoldenMotor.com

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Wow, 11,000 lumens is up there. But "too bright"? You might know that answer better than us. When I used to live in a more rural area outside of Mansfield Ohio, there were no streetlights out there. It was DARK at night. I'd have one of these if it existed back then. Now that I live in the suburbs of Indy, we have streetlights and sidewalks and people have really bright porch lights. So I'm more worried about *being* seen, than I am about seeing.
I would guess it could be as much a danger to blind an oncoming driver who is unprepared, than it might be to have a dim headlight. Speaking of which, is there a way to dim some of these if you have to?

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
I have a very bright headlight. I had a couple drivers flash at me so I adjusted it a little lower. It lights up the road for about 150 feet now, which is enough for me.
It isn't so much the brightness but the angle that blinds drivers. My light's on the bars, so it's higher than a car's headlights. Had to angle it down some.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I have a very bright headlight. I had a couple drivers flash at me so I adjusted it a little lower. It lights up the road for about 150 feet now, which is enough for me.
It isn't so much the brightness but the angle that blinds drivers. My light's on the bars, so it's higher than a car's headlights. Had to angle it down some.
Good to know. I angled mine down too a while ago. I guess that's about all you can do, if you have a bright light. I was hoping I wasn't bothering too many other motorists.

The first thing to do if you have battery problems with these is to check for current drain with the unit turned off. I use a Triplett 630 VOM. Cut one battery pack wire and put the ammeter in series. Start off on the 120 ma scale and work down to the 1.2 ma scale. If you detect any current flow with the flashlight turned off You need to put an off on switch where you cut the wire so you can turn it completely off when not in use. CAUTION!!! Don't turn on the flashlight with the ammeter connected as you might burn up the ammeter. You will need to turn on this switch to charge the battery. The problem with this drain is if you run a single L-Ion battery down past 2.5 volts it will damage it. If you run it completely dead it will kill it and it wont ever recharge again. I had one 3X XML-T6 hand held flashlight with a 20 ma drain that killed two sets of Chinese batteries before I checked this. Simple solution, add a switch. If your having problems with you batteries dying early and don't have the means to check it, go ahead and install a switch and a new battery and see if this solves your problem. I've had decent luck with Chinese batteries but they lie about their capacity. I buy used tested Panasonic 18650 batteries on Ebay. These used Panasonic batteries are better than new Chinese batteries.

Last edited: