Recommended Chain Slack

GoldenMotor.com

ezrider

May 18, 2016
Indiana

Anybody know what a good chain slack measurement would be on these kit bikes? On regular motorcycles its like 2 inches. My concern is that were would enough room for the pulley or chain tensioner.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
1/2 " to 3/4" and perfect chain/sprocket/ tensioner alignment.

The way to measure (if we're talking about an in-frame, Chinese 2 stroke) is to leave the clutch engaged, gently roll the bike forward until the piston comes up to the compression stroke. The upper chain run will then go slack. That's where you want to measure the slack.

A chain that is too loose can bind in the clutch actuator cover and a too tight chain will cause excess wear on the sprockets, wheel bearings and make noise.

These aren't motorcycles and have their own set of specifications. 2 inches of slack will get you into trouble. Way too lose for our purposes.

Tom

Cylon

Jun 26, 2015
Maine
Yep on my bike I keep it at 1/2 with no tensioner I can move my rear wheel back and fourth to adjust it.

On my girls bike I got one of those spring tensioner that's kind of like a set it and forget it kinda solution it will always stay tight and the spring allows enough play so it doesn't fall off the sprocket or bind up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bicycle-Cha...211804?hash=item1a12e5fbdc:g:dS8AAOSwhRxXKI4-

Dirt cheap if you don't want to keep adjusting the tension. I suggest going without one tho after you chain stops stretching.

ezrider

May 18, 2016
Indiana
I'm assuming that the recommended 1/2" to 3/4" chain slack is set AFTER the pulley or chain tensioner is installed. Just making sure.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
WHAT pulley or chain tensioner? never use em. And much easier with a smaller sprocket-there's more frame chain stay clearance.

After several years of the matched chains on my 50, I'm putting a 3 3/2 half link on the pedal chain, because the motor chain is obviously stretched and needs tightening while the pedal wont go back further now. If I get through the summer, and lucky if I get on it six times, I'll probably go down from a 39 back sprocket to 36, which would mess up the match again, except I'll put a new 415 Industrial/Trike motor chain, which should even things back the other way again, until it stretches- then I'll take the half link out.

Probably be dead by then anyway.