Experimenting With Timing

GoldenMotor.com

Jun 19, 2015
Riverside, Ca
Sorry if I am wrong but find TDC check timing location, if not at 20 deg just cut rotor and JB weld, an offset key would be not needed easy to have two rotor`s one for retard an one for advanced only 5 bucks. Timing light I have one If some one needs to use it. I still davr not bought a engine yet, Sounds from all I have read we better take them apart and blue print them. Any why sorry to but in. This is a good read.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I use a fine threaded 8mm bolt with a few jam nuts to lock it onto the bevel gear side of the crank and made a pointer out of aluminum and mount it to one of the clutch cover bolts, this works great for setting up port timing and a wheel can be printed on both sides of the disc so it could be read from either side of the engine while mounted out of the way on the clutch side...

I made my degree wheel by printing a picture of one off the net then gluing it to a plastic sheet with spray adhesive, you can print a degree wheel onto card stock as well but it'll last a lot longer if glued to a sheet of plastic or even an old cd.

Here's a pic of mine mounted on an engine to set up port timing, it can also be used for ignition timing and will stay put while running if the engine is started with a pull start. I just got the image by doing a Google image search for "degree wheel" and there are several printable ones to choose from...

jughead72

Jun 25, 2015
tovey il.
thanks dave I have a 7" mr gasket wheel I will try that with. I had pictured the deg. wheel on the other side of the motor. I am going to find tdc and make two marks one that is on the case and one that rotates on the gear I should be able to check ing. timing with it running like a car and use the advance function on my light to see exactly where it is. I think ???

jughead72

Jun 25, 2015
tovey il.
I put my deg. wheel on my motor tonight . I found tdc and marked it but when I looked at the magneto rotor it didn't look right the keyway was a little before 12oclock. I am sure I had the motor at tdc has any one else noticed this or am I looking at all wrong? I forgot my timing light at work so I couldn't check how much spark advance I had. I will do it tomarrow. what is the recommend spark advance ?

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
My experiments were very un-scientific involving shifting the mags rotor and noticing any "seat of the pants" changes.

It has been noted on the forum in the past that the stock CDI has excessive initial advance. This is different than the position of the mags rotor as its electronically influenced by the CDI. Other words there are two things influencing timing. I found that retarding the rotor a bit improved the over all running on a stock CG( on the two engines I had running the stock CDI). I was satisfied with the improvements and went no further.