cdi

GoldenMotor.com

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
Got a thread here in which I've been asking about the new problems with CDI units for several months now since they started failing in a new way. Seems instead of having no spark, or having a good spark at wrong timing, they now go weak where they only have good spark if you spin the mag very fast.

Had 3 more customers this week that bought kits somewhere on ebay and all had CDI go out in a few days, all with the new weak spark problem. I have had a couple go that way in my kits too.

Anyone know about this? Anyone know if all CDIs are from same factory? Anyone know for sure where to get diff CDIs that don't fail like this so fast?

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Last CDi units I got were from www.cozy-mart.com paid $5.28 each for them and so far the one I put on my green bike that had two others poop out on me is holding up fine.

http://cozy-mart.com/cdi-ignition-coil-for-50cc-66cc-80cc-engine-motorized-bicycle-bike-2402.html

Also never had a n issue with the ones I bought from BGF on ebay, but have no idea what he has now.

Got a thread here in which I've been asking about the new problems with CDI units for several months now since they started failing in a new way. Seems instead of having no spark, or having a good spark at wrong timing, they now go weak where they only have good spark if you spin the mag very fast.

Had 3 more customers this week that bought kits somewhere on ebay and all had CDI go out in a few days, all with the new weak spark problem. I have had a couple go that way in my kits too.

Anyone know about this? Anyone know if all CDIs are from same factory? Anyone know for sure where to get diff CDIs that don't fail like this so fast?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
thanx, I have a lot of these on hand right now due to so many failures, but may try those next time - bummer that I just got in spark plugs with non-removable terminal nuts for the rubber boot CDIs, so I'll need to get plugs to go with them

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
That's not bad of a deal with cozy mart... even after shipping they're still reasonable...
So far none of mine have failed on me but I bought all of mine several months ago. If this becomes a common problem I may switch to aftermarket until they get their stuff together again.
The screaming roo unit looks a lot like stock and seems to be priced reasonably enough that one wouldn't have to raise the price too much when building bikes to sell, and it could also be used as a selling point that they come with upgraded ignitions. The "super rocket" would be another decent candidate due to its price, as far as performing better goes, I'm not sure, but if it fires the plug and runs at least as well as stock it may be a decent alternative until the stock cdi issues get worked out. The HD lightning would probably be the best bet for reliability tho, but it will add significantly to the price which could be a problem if there are other builders in your area since most people will look more at the price than whether or not it's rock solid dpendable...

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I'm currently running the Screaming Roo coil/CDI combo.
Coil is supposed to wound with heavier wire for more voltage and is not recommended for stock CDI boxes.
Feels just as good as my Lightning HD with smoother power and less "popping" and cutting out at low speeds

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Where did you get your screaming roo cdi and coil combo from? I've seen them around but couldn't remember who had them for sale when I was looking for one the other day... I would definitely prefer to go this route instead of the "super rocket" if building to sell... the screaming roo seems to be the best bang for the buck as far as aftermarket quality and reliability goes. Not saying anything bad about the other aftermarket setups, just what's most practical as far as building bikes to sell when keeping the price competitive with others needs to be considered because anyone who don't know the difference will only look at your price compared to theirs even tho theirs may be of considerably less quality. Those who know won't hesitate to buy, but the general public usually just looks at the price...

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
2 more dead today - one from BGF, other from sashawigs2009

that roo thing looks suspiciously like a standard CDI with a fancy plug wire attached - doubt I'd bother to stock them at that price

anyone have stats on whether the new 480ohm mags might be at fault?

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
Failures that quick and often,I would be looking at other parts and not the cdi. Do you have a bike of known good running you can leave a cdi on for the expected short duration of the troubled bike? Then pull it and see if it lasts on the other?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
on CDIs that I order & sell, I'm getting maybe 2 in 10 that fail - all others seem OK

makes it hard to find a commonality in failure - that's why I'm asking here for any patterns spotted or if anyone knows anything from the factories

once you get a good one on the bike, it is OK after it lasts for 3 or 4 days

most fails are in first 4 min or first hour or so

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
talked to some folks yesterday

no good tracking to see if failures are mostly on 480ohm mags or with rubber boots, but two things were brought up

CDI has a full wave rectifier to get full power out of mag, so a weak CDI may be one that has had a failure in one leg of that rectifier

rubber boot depends on a metal spike to dig into wire and make connection to copper core, these may be misaligned and adding a 2nd gap to the spark path