Just got Pull start, Need to know where to get a rope.

GoldenMotor.com

StrontiumEthics

Aug 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NYC
I just got a pull start kit from Zoombicycles.com. But I am heavely recommended that I upgrade the Rope for it. Where can I get the parts? Like the rope? How do I know which one to get?

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i wouldnt change the rope unless it breaks,mine still works fine after many many many many many pulls.but if you want a spare just go to a store that has lawnmower parts: muffler,sparkplugs,handle with rope pull $3,i saw one in my local hardware store.the rope comes with pull handle.or you could bring the rope and handle with you to the store and match up the rope(i would only do that if it broke).i heard people buy 1/4" cord at walmart in bulk.

Google Image Result for http://www.ultimatewasher.com/images/Stens/140-401C-r.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
Do you know what kind of rope is on it now ? Is it cotton, nylon, or another synthetic ?

Nylon is strong but if you see a universal replacemtnt made of polyester that will be about
as strong as you'll find. The nylon may be more flexable however.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
I've seen the posts about the cord breaking also.

I'm fairly certain the problem lies in the grommet that protects the cord from the housing.

I've had one pull start. I was pulling the starter while looking at something else, and did not notice that the grommet had popped out. The edges of the casting are so sharp that the cord was cut.

As Cabin said, the cord should last, and last. Just keep an eye on the plastic grommet.

Jim

StrontiumEthics

Aug 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NYC
Ok, so Usually the rope just breaks? What about the other Internals? Are they good? I noticed that plastic peice. Will that break as well? How do I start it? Should I give it a hard pull or what?

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
dont pull real hard. put choke lever up,prime twice,pull straight up and let it go back down.if not started pull again(first time may take 2-3 pulls)and may have to prime again.
once started you may have to give some throttle and adjust idle set screw.after warmed up,push choke halfway down.after a few more minuites push choke all the way down.and take for a short slow ride at first,to make sure everything is working.

i do pull my pull start hard,but im 120lbs,if you have larger arms and are bigger,dont pull as hard.

StrontiumEthics

Aug 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NYC
Now just a quick question. When you put the choke down ( When the circle thing blocks of the air hole) is the bike engine suppost to shut off or just slow down idling? because I notice there is another hole to allow a little air in. What is the point of choking the bike? When I start it Im not sure if im doing it rightm but I do it so the bike can just idle...?

StrontiumEthics

Aug 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NYC
Ok so maybe I should look for that spot taht actually cut the wire and then possible grind it down or so? What do you guys think? Im probally going to be putting it on either today or tommorow.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
on my bike the plastic Grommet is under the pull handle(mine is white with hole and rope coming out). you choke the bike when engine is cold after it warms up it needs more air(open it).
and after riding a while,if you choke it,the engine will turn off from lack of air.if warm you can start the bike with choke open. i hope this clears it up and ask more questions if needed.the little hole is so it can start and idle when engine is cold(but it doesnt want much air at first).

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
A Chainsaw Shop Will Have Several Sizes Of Quality Cord. Take Your Old Cord With You, Get An Extra, They Are Cheap. When You Use A Pull Start On Any Engine, You Should Pull Up Slow Untill The Cogs Latch Then Give Your Best Shot. Jerking Them Up Raises Kane With The System. Also If You Pull Straight Away From The Hole The Rope Will Last Much Much Longer. When You Pull At An Angle From The Hole Your Grommet And Rope Wear Out Fast. My Climber Starts The Climbing Saw Many Many Times A Day, His Rope Lasts For Months, And That Saw Has Lots Of Compression. The Ground Pounders Wear Them Out Weekly. I Just Looked At 2 Ht Rewinds, The Cord Looks Decent. Better Than The Pocket Motor Cords. You Can Replace The Cord With Out Disembling The Rewind. If You Take It Apart You May Need Help Geting The Rewind Spring Back In If It Flys Out. There Is A Lot Of Plastic Parts In Quality Saws, They Last If Treated Well. Ron

Last edited:

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
heres a warning to pull start owners:
my pull start just stop working,its not the rope or handle its something inside that broke.
its not very old and i dont pull hard either.

donuts31

Nov 9, 2008
Colorado
Home Depot has a replacement pull starter cord that is a perfect replacement. Its reasonably priced and works great on both my pull starter cords. Stock cord is good for 5 pulls at most.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
my stock rope is holding up just fine,it was a 2cent piece of wire inside that broke and i fixed in 10mins with pliers a screwdriver for free.but i'll buy a roll of wire so when it happens again i'll have some wire to replace it.

POPS

Sep 8, 2008
Vancouver Island BC .Canada
I don't know because I have nothing to compare it to.

I bought 2 PK.pull start kits and the rope looks as good as.

On a lot of C/clutch threads I've noticed where people have said

that their cover was real cheep and they beat on them to make them fit.

PK. C/clutchs are cast like the rest of the motor...No tin...POPS