For American folks

GoldenMotor.com

--

Aug 18, 2014
Would'nt ya feel proud if ya build your own frame, bend yer own handlebar, purchase wheel sets from Worksman.. it's all American made..

But when ya mount tires, engine and entire chain drives.. Ya frowned.. because it made elsewhere..

Sure, it'll function well.. Just down in yer guts, yer pride sank deep into abysm...

Oh yeah... China made tires do smell funny don't they? :eek:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
if you didn't make it yourself, you have no right to take pride in it no matter where it was made - I truly hate rich folk that take pride in something they bought as though they had made it

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Whatever the object and however it was made of acquired, I think the what matters is the wear and use you put on it and the memories and experiences it has attached.

It still annoys the doodahs off me that in a city where we used to have over 100 motorcycle manufacturers there isn't even one.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
What about when you were a kid and you saved up for months to get something you wanted? I don't think the kid from "Where The Red Fern Grows" could make his own dogs! Anyway, don't hate "rich folk" who earn enough money to buy toys they can afford. It makes you look petty and jealous.
nothing petty or jealous about having pride in something you built, while not liking someone else trying to take credit for your work

we used to see a lot of 'mommy bikes', wherein a kid would pretend to be a great builder just because his mommy gave him enough money for one of us to build something for him

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I have built a lot of speakers. Well actually I've built a lot of speaker enclosures. The drivers inside have been USA (Eminence), China (Tang Band), France (Audax) and Brazil (Selenium).

They sound really good and I like them. That's the best reason to build stuff, because it's not commercially available. You get to make it the way you want it and make it to fit in your space. It's custom.

You wanna know the downside? It's worthless. You try to sell and you might better just toss 'em inna trash for all the aggravation. Not worth it. Most DIY speaker builders just give them away to friends and neighbors.

Building something is cool because it's just what you wanted. Ain't cool to anyone else though unless it's just what they wanted. And that don't happen often.

Last edited:

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
It's a shame you're so far away. I've got some old Celestions for sale.
Oh, I forgot Denmark (Peerless)

We are a global economy now, ain't it great!

The best of the world delivered to your doorstep by people employed right here in America.

Nope, it's not all made here anymore. And you know what? It never was.

If you want to forge your own steel by all means, get a bellows forge and pound away. Ye olde blacksmithery.

Now days people do what they are good at so they can make dough to buy stuff from other people that are good at what they do. That's the most efficient way to get stuff done.

However if you want to go up the mountain and build that log cabin, plant a garden and grow some food, hunt and trap and salt meat for the winter like Grizzley Addams, you can do that too.

Why you can even build a forge up there and pour your own castings, beat your swords into plowshares and get that bear to till your land.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
don't mind folks liking what I do and buying it - just don't want them taking credit for it as though they had built it themselves

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Then put a non-removable "built by crassius" emblem on them all.

Make it of sheet steel and braze it to the frame.

Otherwise you don't have anything to say. You built it, they bought it, they paid you what you asked for and you paid for your supper with their dough. I guess you shouldn't be proud of that burger you cooked on your grill because you didn't raise the beef?

C'mon - :)

--

Aug 18, 2014
Then put a non-removable "built by crassius" emblem on them all.

Make it of sheet steel and braze it to the frame.
I build boats and few smaller things of wood... I burn my name in 'em real deep with woodburning iron in places can't be removed but yet easy to see and read..

It always feel good building something, and few years down the road, you forgotten all about the work ya did..
It surprises me most of time when I see my works sitting in somebody else home.. What a joy..

What kills me the most is copper boat nails, they're over $30 a pound. :eek:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I think you're finally getting it. I certainly wouldn't be proud of beef I didn't raise - not my work, I take no credit. Still enjoy the burger tho.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
That's the spirit!

I dunno. If I built something and got paid for it and the people that paid me were all happy and proud about what I built I would be blushing.

A happy customer is the best advertising.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
if you didn't make it yourself, you have no right to take pride in it no matter where it was made - I truly hate rich folk that take pride in something they bought as though they had made it
I concede the very good point you make here. But I also see no harm in taking pride in the parts of the bike the you were able to make, or in precision of the assembly.
I'm rather proud of the aluminum tank I brazed from sheet aluminum, made completely from scratch to fit my bike frame. I'm also rather proud of how well the overall assembly went; she's been running mostly trouble-free for years now. But I didn't make the frame or the engine or the wheels and tires. So, no, I can't really take pride in those parts.
But I don't need a sense of pride so much as I need a bike to ride and enjoy.

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
Would'nt ya feel proud if ya build your own frame, bend yer own handlebar, purchase wheel sets from Worksman.. it's all American made..

But when ya mount tires, engine and entire chain drives.. Ya frowned.. because it made elsewhere..

Sure, it'll function well.. Just down in yer guts, yer pride sank deep into abysm...

Oh yeah... China made tires do smell funny don't they? :eek:
Not much you can do about new tires short of very expensive Coker's,

But there's lots of good & affordable vintage engines out there worthy of rescue!

And they usually have a nice look & sound about them too... :- )

-Kirk

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
Whatever the object and however it was made of acquired, I think the what matters is the wear and use you put on it and the memories and experiences it has attached.

It still annoys the doodahs off me that in a city where we used to have over 100 motorcycle manufacturers there isn't even one.
Yep. the Great Depression and two wars killed a lot of that for the UK. For the folks that do not understand, here is a list of British motorcycle brands:

http://cybermotorcycle.com/euro/wikig/

Webb forks, *** engines, etc. Miss them all.