sprockets & speedometers.

GoldenMotor.com

skimpd666

Nov 5, 2008
scottsdale
i read somewhere that there is a replacment 11 tooth sprocket for the engine to give it more top end. also any ideas for an old school style spedo for my cruiser? oh and its a 48cc raw engine...

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
i read somewhere that there is a replacment 11 tooth sprocket for the engine to give it more top end. also any ideas for an old school style spedo for my cruiser? oh and its a 48cc raw engine...
I never had much luck with the old school style speedo, too much vibration causes the needle to jump around too much giving false speed and mileage. what I done was used a old school speedo housing, removed the internals and replaced with a digital speedo and presto chango , I got a old school look with modern features!

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
HI,

As far as I know, there aren't any 11T sprocket options for the HT engines (I have heard that making the engine drive sprocket much bigger would cause interference under he sprocket cover)....

An 11T drive sprocket is available from SBP BUT it is for use with their Shifter Kit....Maybe this is what you saw or read about?

As far as changing the gearing for higher top speeds you could get a smaller rear sprocket.

Hope this helps you.

Andrew

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
skimpd666,

I see a lot of those old exercise bikes people used to use with the old school speedo's on them. You know the kind that had one front wheel ? I don't know
if the cable would reach to the handelbars on your bicycle or not, but I've seen these things in yard sales for a couple to five bucks. Some just free to a good home. If the cable doesn't reach to the handlebars with enough room to turn, then perhaps mount it to the frame head tube somehow.

Good luck. :)

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I used a speedo off a exercise bike for 4 years and it worked great. The needle finally started to jump around and I tried to fix it but never got it to work again....so I went digital and have been very happy so far.

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
Since we are on the subject of speedometers I thought I would throw in a picture of what I am using. I used these on a couple mini bikes I built and they seem to work o.k. for the money. Niagara Cycle Works has them on sale for $5.00, at that price they are disposible if they go bad.

Attachments

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I just checked NCW website, those speedo's are still on sale for $5.99, complete with spoke drive, cable and mounting bracket. I think I will pick up a couple more, maybe several more for resale!
Have you gotten yours? Does it really come with the spoke drive? I see they sell them separate...

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
Have you gotten yours? Does it really come with the spoke drive? I see they sell them separate...
Jason, They do come with everything you need. On the first one I ordered I ordered the spoke drive thinking they didn't come with it but now have an extra. I just ordered two more of the speedo's, don't know how they can sell them complete for that price, but I like it. That website has some really good prices on all bicycle parts. That's where I have been getting most of the parts I need for the winter build.
Happy Holidays........John

Walter F.

Jun 4, 2008
Connecticut
Jason, They do come with everything you need. On the first one I ordered I ordered the spoke drive thinking they didn't come with it but now have an extra. I just ordered two more of the speedo's, don't know how they can sell them complete for that price, but I like it. That website has some really good prices on all bicycle parts. That's where I have been getting most of the parts I need for the winter build.
Happy Holidays........John
Would some post a link for the place, I get nothin' under niagaracycleworks.com. Thanks Walter F.