New bike! 1948 H Whizzer in a B-6 frame

GoldenMotor.com

McBob

Nov 27, 2011
Wisconsin
I have a new head coming (THANK YOU Jay!). Won it on E-Bay. All I got to do is clean it up.
I was thinking I could tig weld the blown out part and file it. Next thing will be avideo with my kids GO Pro.

McBob

Nov 27, 2011
Wisconsin
Re: 1948 H Whizzer in a B-6 frame

There's a Whizzer H head on ebay. Use a copper head gasket. My H kept blowing head gaskets until I put a copper one on it. Here's a link to the ebay head:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Wh...645?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item460e45c2fd
Jay
I got the head today and it will clean up well. Couple minor broken edges of the fin, but hey only $15 bucks! thanks again for the tip and your ongoing help.
Does your whizzer have 1/4 -20 or 5/16-18 head bolts? I called memory lane and they said the two gaskets are different. Mine has 1/4-20. I'm wondering if i should upgrade to the 5/16-18. if the 1/4 holds with the copper gasket I'll do that for now.
Also the bolt I took out to check the size only sat in the cylinder about 3/8 inch. Does anybody know the correct length of the head bolts?
Bob

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
Re: 1948 H Whizzer in a B-6 frame

Jay
I got the head today and it will clean up well. Couple minor broken edges of the fin, but hey only $15 bucks! thanks again for the tip and your ongoing help.
Does your whizzer have 1/4 -20 or 5/16-18 head bolts? I called memory lane and they said the two gaskets are different. Mine has 1/4-20. I'm wondering if i should upgrade to the 5/16-18. if the 1/4 holds with the copper gasket I'll do that for now.
Also the bolt I took out to check the size only sat in the cylinder about 3/8 inch. Does anybody know the correct length of the head bolts?
Bob
I'm not sure right now on head bolt length but it would be good to drill & tap your cylinder for the 5/16 bolts.

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
jb is right, going with the 5/16 head bolts will make sure you don't blow any head gasket. from the looks of your pic, your head has been milled pretty good, that added a lot more compression. way to go bob, please keep us posted of your progress.
with your old head, it's made of aluminum, so going back aluminum would be better.
hope this helps.

Ray

McBob

Nov 27, 2011
Wisconsin
5/16 bolts it is then. Thanks to JB and Ray for the confirmation.
The new head is aluminum.

I will get some practice taking the motor out. In the whizzers service facts book reprint from memory lane they describe a technique of pacing a sheet of 80 grit emery cloth on a flat plate and resurfacing it before placing the head back on.
I remeber from your previous post Jay that you sent one of your motors to Quenton for some work and he did some speed work for you. I wonder about that option. Is he still doing motor work? I could have the whole thing checked and done by someone who knows the motor. How would I get in touch with him to check?
Bob

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
5/16 bolts it is then. Thanks to JB and Ray for the confirmation.
The new head is aluminum.

I will get some practice taking the motor out. In the whizzers service facts book reprint from memory lane they describe a technique of pacing a sheet of 80 grit emery cloth on a flat plate and resurfacing it before placing the head back on.
I remeber from your previous post Jay that you sent one of your motors to Quenton for some work and he did some speed work for you. I wonder about that option. Is he still doing motor work? I could have the whole thing checked and done by someone who knows the motor. How would I get in touch with him to check?
Bob
I'll PM you his phone number.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
McBob
If your motor ends up in Q's hands it will be well taken care of. Are you planning on the PA rally in august, I know it's a bit far?

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
Hi Bob, these modifications, milling head, enlarging your head bolts are all pretty simple stuff to do.
if your motor had some more challenging motor work, i would say to give it to someone more capable. just my 2 cents.

Ray

McBob

Nov 27, 2011
Wisconsin
Thanks for asking Ray. I am waiting for a copper gasket to be delivered next week.
then... Its get my motor runnin....
Bob.shft.

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
That sounds good Bob, I'm looking forward to seeing some pics, hearing you taking it for your first joy ride. Whizzer-ON!!!

Ray

McBob

Nov 27, 2011
Wisconsin
dance1
Finally got the head refaced with 80 grit emery cloth and a granite tile. converted the 1/4-20 to 5/16-18. used grade 8 bolts. most of them were 1" and 3 were 1 1/4". easy to do. took me about a day. been riding it for two days now. I am going to take the motor out and check the torque settings.

You were right, Ray, the old head was milled right into the bottom fin.

I broke the speedo cable. the local cycle shop that laced up my wheels for the 4g build I am working on said a motorcycle shop will sell the cable to fit the inside and they make a tool to square the ends.

The bike is really a gas. it gets up to 30-35 mph. now All I got to do is figure out how to download quickly a go pro video to you tube. My 8 minute video has been downloading for two days now!!!:-||

I will put the video link up when its complete. its 92% downloaded now.
Bob

McBob

Nov 27, 2011
Wisconsin
Thanks for holding me accountable. My rolling stops are not a good habit either.
Sure is fun riding that bike!
Bob

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
Bob motor sounds really good!! for a newbie you did well. That rider has speed.
at about 4 mins in to the video you can see a shadow being cast....you can see who rules the day!!!

Thanks.
Ray

McBob

Nov 27, 2011
Wisconsin
Thanks for all of you kind comments and friendship.

I went to the classic bike nite at the Iron horse hotel near the Harley museum tonight. got nominated for classic American bike. My Whizzer won second place and 10 bucks!

A 1925 Harley Davidson won first. The fella who owned the 1925 was there with his friend from when they were kids. They both lived near each other in small towns in northern Wisconsin and rode whizzers. The guy with the Harley still has his whizzer! The friend who helped his friend with the 1925 has built a replica of a safety cycle with a 10 horse motor in it. he took a picture and sized it to the original. then he proportioned the frame length to the picture and fabricated it.

What a great night!

Attachments