The $50 Cruiser - the budget so far

GoldenMotor.com

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Hello! Many of you know the story on my gasbike, but I was asked to post it here as well.
I was accused of DUI. A friend of a friend had the same problem, but had gotten his licence back over a year before. The day he started driving, he drained the gas tank and parked the bike next to his barn.
It's a Schwin Del Mar with a 49cc 4-stroke Huasheng, and stage 3 gearbox. I'd never seen one before, but he said he'd buy it back if I could'nt fix it or didn't want it, and he was only asking $50 so I bought it. Figured the cruiser was worth that much at least!
Found this site, got it running, rebuilding it as I go thru it, planning to paint it later, go on multi-mile fire road trips in the woods.
So far I've spent about $50 more on: fuel line, fuel cock, fuel filter, clamps, blue thread lock, black gasket maker, pedal chain, chain breaker, valve stem tool, kickstand, Bell tube slime (not in yet), various nuts and bolts.
So $100, and I believe, 25 man hours. Lucky Irishman, I know.

Attachments

Last edited:

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
The first pic is how I got it... it's not finished, and it around $125 total so far. The clutch lever has been removed and re-purposed as a throttle temporarily. I permanently engaged the gearbox so it was not needed.
Will post some pics soon, but there's plenty around here from build projects. Thanks for the compliments!

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Just a couple of tips...
That transfer case needs a little 50 weight oil in it to lube lube the 3 gears inside, I'd drain whatever is in it if there is anything and you can use 4oz of hydraulic jack fluid to keep the gears lubed without failing.