0.0 Is this a CRACK?!

GoldenMotor.com

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I don't think I'd even bother trying to repair that massive failure.....but hey, it's not mine to worry about. That's some bad crack(s) right there. Good luck.

It's def not ridable in that condition, that's asking to get hurt!

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
just my way of thinking but this frame is scrap metal

it would be unsafe to ride it the only way to fix is take all the still good parts off and put them on another frame
Thanks John........I was just trying to let him down easy......scrap metal at best.

Sad but true, not worth fixing honestly :(

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
a little JB weld should fix that right up...:)

i'm kidding. it's trash.

schwinn's today are junk, too. all made cheaply in china.

if you want something that's gonna last, check your craigslist for older american cruisers. you can still pick up 70's-80's schwinns for pretty cheap.

stay away from those ads that say "80's huffy (or murray) made in america."

huffys and murrays were junk back then, too. just because they were made in america doesn't mean they were made well. they've always been low end department store bikes.

the truth is, you get what you pay for. you can make a cheap bike good, but it'll cost you...

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
have not heard of schwinn having a failure like you have had on that one but anything is possible

before you buy the bicycle look at all the welds and it should look like a perfect stack of dimes with perfect even spacing with no holes or other ugliness

should look like these welds...

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
schwinn's today are junk, too. all made cheaply in china.

the truth is, you get what you pay for. you can make a cheap bike good, but it'll cost you...
The Target Schwinn Jaguar frame is just fine and do not break.

Have very powerful V brakes and gears.

Tons of 4 stroke and 2 stroke builds are using that frame including
2door who knows his stuff.

The Schwinn aluminum version of this frame the Point Beach can crack.

True the 14 guage spoked wheels are weak.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
When recommending for or against any of the inexpensive bicycles it's misleading to state all of "X brand is just fine and do not break" or even "aluminum is bad/steel good" as it's unfortunately far more complex than just brand name, price or even material as the quality control is highly variable.

Even higher cost bikes suffer some variance in weld quality, the difference being someone most likely inspected them before letting them out of the factory - with the cheap bikes, you'll have to do this yourself.

Judging from this;

I think the pics are turned 90°? ...but, I'd hafta say it looks like the welds were not only hurried (wide lap spacing) but also varying in types of problems. While the seatpost to top tube weld held - it's obv too fast w/too low a current, whereas the weld that failed (stay to seatpost) was too slow/current too high & thus undercut - which leaves a space/void where there's less material & that's where it most likely initially cracked, the clean break in the stay probably came after as a result of the added stress loads.

It's easy enough to inspect welds if you know what you're looking for - remember they're far more important than brand favoritism, material bias or shopping by price tag alone as they tell you clearly how well that particular frame was built;

Common low quality welding, steel & a 'NEXT' brand mountain bike;

Beautiful welds, aluminum & a 'Schwinn' brand mountain bike;

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I have seen those cruiser frames for years crack in the very same spot. And it don't matter if its a $80 Walmart bike or a $600 bike from a bike shop. I have seen both fail always on the seat stays right by the seat tube.

Mr. Minecraft

Visionary
Jan 13, 2012
San Diego
So should i be switching to a different style bike? maybe a mountain bike? They seem as if they should be tougher.

As for my frame:

SO there is NO way i can remove the paint and take it to a welder to have it fixed? It seems as though i could find a experienced welder and have him do the job.

EDIT: Ill get some better pics up in a few

Last edited:

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
a stronger frame would be to find one that is a lugged frame

see how the tubes join this is a lugged frame

could it be fixed by a pro.... anything can be fixed/rebuilt if you have enough $$$

but it is worth it to pay a pro $45 up to $150 an hour to have them fix a frame on a sub $150 bicycle

to do that correctly would take a couple hours

Drill and grind cracks make fish plates weld cracks then weld on fishplates. Do other side of frame as well being one side already failed. To do the right and make it look nice will take some time.

Last edited: