Micargi Cheetah

GoldenMotor.com

locell

Jan 16, 2010
mesa
Interesting , looks like a nice little rear spring , be great with a springer up front.
that bike would defintely be cool motorized! i suspect that rear suspension will mess with the drive chain (create slack if the frame hinged behind the sprocket). The pedal chain is safe as that distance dosent change but the drive chain comes it from a higher point so it may - which could be a potential show stopper, maybe workaround with a spring loaded chain tensioner? xct2

good vibrations

Mar 30, 2010
denva, calarada
Look at sick bike parts and I'm likley toget shot for this but Thatsdax carries one as well. Far as I kno, those are the two mannies to choose from.. There are some DIY ideas out there but the expense is better spent just buying the made one. SBP's is made in the states, the dax kit is a china clone of the SBP kit. My opinion on that matter is that dax is offering a similar product at a slighly better price. It's my understanding that whichever you choose, make sure you get the HD freewheel if it's available. This comes from an observer and research only. I currently ride ss.

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
it appears that the rear is hinged at the bottom so a derailer isnt neccesary to keep the chain on.....but i am interested in a shift kit for that...now i cant ever remember seeing this but im sure someone has tried this before; how about using a multi speed hub on the rear???wont need to add a derailer or hanger and the style will stay vintage looking...not sure how it will work so id ask around first

Noped

Apr 21, 2010
Natchez, ms
Hey fellers; what if you were to use a spring loaded chain tensioner? wouldn't that compensate for any slack created by the suspension?

Ulysys

Apr 25, 2009
Spokane, WA
I've seen some other threads on here about spring loaded tensioners and rear suspension. Some say it works, others worry that you would need a really strong spring to keep the chain tight enough. Might work, might not.

The shift kit is probably the best option. I want to try this now. This bike, 4 stroke, shift kit, and some kind of suspension fork, preferably one that can handle a disc brake.

CoastalCruiser

Apr 28, 2010
Spaced Coast
I've been toying with the idea of a trailing arm spring loaded roller chain tensioner depending from the lower bolt of the clutch cover.

Last edited:

sojudave

Oct 18, 2008
austin tx
Be careful with the Micargi's. I've heard on ratrod bikes that they tend to fall apart pretty quickly. I'd beef up the wheels by going to stainless with 12g spokes and double check the headset and bb. Also look at the rear hub too just in case. I think that these inexpensive bikes, Wallyworld included, are a great starting point, but I also think that there are certain components that definitely need to be looked at closely before motorizing the bikes.

CoastalCruiser

Apr 28, 2010
Spaced Coast
Not everybody has $499 to shell out for a Felt. I'm going to take the wait and see stance on the spokes. Cheap and dirty is my creedo. If it cracks then I'll have a reason to get a nice stretch frame for all my goodies!

sojudave

Oct 18, 2008
austin tx
Not everybody has $499 to shell out for a Felt. I'm going to take the wait and see stance on the spokes. Cheap and dirty is my creedo. If it cracks then I'll have a reason to get a nice stretch frame for all my goodies!

Neither do I, nor am I willing to spend that much on a bike, but how much does it cost to take a double look at the components I was talking about? Especially the hub. I like some of the Micargi bikes, but after reading what I read on Ratrod bikes, I would definitely double check some things. As for the the spokes. All you need to do is just get that stock wheel relaced or do it yourself.