48cc engine overhaul

GoldenMotor.com

makoman1860

Jun 6, 2008
Good Day All,
Im new to this forum, but not to these "wonderful" 48cc bicycle engine kits. Ive done 3 conversions, and I have found the following overhaul points to be very helpful.

1-Tear the engine down to every last nut and bolt
2-De-burr all edges on the case
3-lap mating surfaces on surface plate
4-Machine the case to accept "normal" 30mm OD crank seals, and use decent Corteco seals from CR seal.
5-Replace the crank bearings with SKF units
6-Replace the jackshaft bearings with SKF sealed ( not shielded ) units
7-Actually align , redrill, and helicoil most of the holes in the case
8-Replace the cylinder studs with stainless (english threaded units)
9-Re-true and polish the crankshaft journals, especially where the seals ride
10-Deburr and chamfer everything slightly, these engines are full of burrs and sharp edges.
11-chamfer and polish the edges of the ports in the cylinder
12-lap the cylinder and cylinder head to make sure they are flat
13-lightly hone all the edges of the piston rings, and check the fit in the piston.
14-De-burr the primary reduction gears, glass beading works well for this
15-Clean and relube the clutch idler bearings with high temp nlgi-3 grease
16-Bush the clutch shaft in the sprocket cover with a bronze bushing
17-Ultrasonicly clean every part (if you can) and assemble with a decent lube one the engine parts, high temp grease on everything else, and a removeable sealer on the gaskets.
18-Assemble using allen head good quality fasteners
19-Seal the excitation coil in the engine with epoxy
20-I have run blendzall 455 at a 32:1 ratio in all of mine with great results.

This probably seems like overkill, and it does take a bit of time. But boy are they reliable after that! All of the kits I bought, from various suppliers, had quite a lot of grit, dirt, metal chips, bad bearings, and all had torn crank seals. Just a good cleaning, de-burring, and hand fitting, and sealing up would make a world of difference. Anyone else gone this far to save a buck?

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Not a bad thing to do if you are motorhead enough to do it, some people (we love you anyways...) don't know which end of a screw driver to hold, so this would be out of the question.

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
Good Day All,
Im new to this forum, but not to these "wonderful" 48cc bicycle engine kits. Ive done 3 conversions, and I have found the following overhaul points to be very helpful.

1-Tear the engine down to every last nut and bolt
2-De-burr all edges on the case
3-lap mating surfaces on surface plate
4-Machine the case to accept "normal" 30mm OD crank seals, and use decent Corteco seals from CR seal.
5-Replace the crank bearings with SKF units
6-Replace the jackshaft bearings with SKF sealed ( not shielded ) units
7-Actually align , redrill, and helicoil most of the holes in the case
8-Replace the cylinder studs with stainless (english threaded units)
9-Re-true and polish the crankshaft journals, especially where the seals ride
10-Deburr and chamfer everything slightly, these engines are full of burrs and sharp edges.
11-chamfer and polish the edges of the ports in the cylinder
12-lap the cylinder and cylinder head to make sure they are flat
13-lightly hone all the edges of the piston rings, and check the fit in the piston.
14-De-burr the primary reduction gears, glass beading works well for this
15-Clean and relube the clutch idler bearings with high temp nlgi-3 grease
16-Bush the clutch shaft in the sprocket cover with a bronze bushing
17-Ultrasonicly clean every part (if you can) and assemble with a decent lube one the engine parts, high temp grease on everything else, and a removeable sealer on the gaskets.
18-Assemble using allen head good quality fasteners
19-Seal the excitation coil in the engine with epoxy
20-I have run blendzall 455 at a 32:1 ratio in all of mine with great results.

This probably seems like overkill, and it does take a bit of time. But boy are they reliable after that! All of the kits I bought, from various suppliers, had quite a lot of grit, dirt, metal chips, bad bearings, and all had torn crank seals. Just a good cleaning, de-burring, and hand fitting, and sealing up would make a world of difference. Anyone else gone this far to save a buck?
I just bookmarked this post for reference.

Thank you.

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Good job. I take all mine apart and have a look, but not that much attention. I finely found someone that knows about sharp edged rings on a two stroke. I found some seals that fit the engine perfectly, and the bearings are a must, mine were lumpy when turned. I do a lot of porting and I have a mod for the carb that works well. Oh I found a way to shut up the speaker affect of the right side cover, smear the inside with Silicone rubber, it will dampen the noise. I hope you enjoy this forum as much as I do. Have fun, Dave
PS: Let me know if you would like to do some porting. I would like to have someone enjoy the affects.

makoman1860

Jun 6, 2008
Good job. I take all mine apart and have a look, but not that much attention. I finely found someone that knows about sharp edged rings on a two stroke. I found some seals that fit the engine perfectly, and the bearings are a must, mine were lumpy when turned. I do a lot of porting and I have a mod for the carb that works well. Oh I found a way to shut up the speaker affect of the right side cover, smear the inside with Silicone rubber, it will dampen the noise. I hope you enjoy this forum as much as I do. Have fun, Dave
PS: Let me know if you would like to do some porting. I would like to have someone enjoy the affects.
Hey Dave,
I myself have re-timed the ports on one of my engines, along with a new intake manifold, walbro "pumper" carb , changed ignition timing and tuned pipe/silencer setup. The end result?-The power of a 1970's vintage 50cc dirtbike engine, with the lifespan of a yugo. In all seriousness the crankshaft is the weak link in the engine for power development, with the driveline short behind. The crankpin to crank-web fit isnt the greatest, and the materials very 1940's vintage (cheap 1940's). Also the piston being a long trunk design is too heavy for high RPM use. After that ordeal I stuck to just making them decently reliable with good runability, and have been having a ball with that!

stude13

May 28, 2008
north bend wa.
i recommend viewing worlds fastest indian, you guys may start casting your own pistons or decide to buy a subatu or tanaka and go on a looooong ride

makoman1860

Jun 6, 2008
i recommend viewing worlds fastest indian, you guys may start casting your own pistons or decide to buy a subatu or tanaka and go on a looooong ride

Heh,
Your not too far off. If I wasnt stretched so thin with other avenues of engine driven machines I would probably toy with this some more. Right now its a reliable way to get around airport and shop.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Hey Dave,
I myself have re-timed the ports on one of my engines, along with a new intake manifold, walbro "pumper" carb , changed ignition timing and tuned pipe/silencer setup. The end result?-The power of a 1970's vintage 50cc dirtbike engine, with the lifespan of a yugo. In all seriousness the crankshaft is the weak link in the engine for power development, with the driveline short behind. The crankpin to crank-web fit isnt the greatest, and the materials very 1940's vintage (cheap 1940's). Also the piston being a long trunk design is too heavy for high RPM use. After that ordeal I stuck to just making them decently reliable with good runability, and have been having a ball with that!

What model and size of Walbro?

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Yea, all I do is to get it to run good now, like you said it is like a 70's dirt bike the only thing is you can not do any sustained runs. I think if you get them to run excellent and then treat them carefully they will last. One thing that I like is the mileage increase, with the engine running so effortlessly the mileage goes way up. I took a few things off mine also, the timing being one, I also leave the compression alone. The porting being the most radical thing I do, and that is conservative at best. Have fun, Dave

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Egor Long Run? 15 Miles to work is that too long for sustained ride?
I should have been more clear, I meant sustained full, or high speed runs. A 15 mile ride should be a cake walk for these engines. When I first built my bikes I was looking for a good top end, not that I was going to ride that fast but I wanted to see what they would do. Now I ride the speed that I would pedal if I were willing to do that. LOL, I do think if I were to start riding to work every day I think I would use an over the rear wheel kit with full suspension. just my opinion. I keep the engine in the frame bikes because I like the way they look. Its a George Wyman thing, I still need to take to the tracks to see what it was like. Have fun, Dave