Help?

GoldenMotor.com

Devalut

Dec 3, 2009
New Westminster
if this is the wrong section FORGIVE ME !!!

I'm 17
i have a 48cc engine
i would be lucky to reach above 30kmh
i wear a bicycle helmet
i live in New Westminster B.C. Canada
Ive had it for nearly a year now and i have never had trouble with the police

just yesterday i was pulled over by a police officer he said that i needed a Motorcycle helmet and license and turn signals and if he caught me riding it again i would have to pay a 598.00 fine. -.-

I don't know much about the laws for the motorized bicycles, Ive been up all night looking for them,
I'm just wondering if there is a way that I'm still(legally) aloud to ride it. its my only transportation
and i love the thing.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Electric assist bikes are legal almost anywhere. Federal laws favor them. Environmentalists and battery makers love them.
I have seen posts where gas assisted bikes are illegal in some other parts of Canada as well.
When it comes to gas motor assisted bikes, we had better enjoy them while we can.

Devalut

Dec 3, 2009
New Westminster
joy -.-

do you know of a possible loop hole?
Ive seen what makes a motorcycle, its 70-50kmh with over 50-80cc and mines under both
so what confuses me is the fact that I'm basically peddling with no feet with some sounds coming out.
but now to ride a small motor i need a motor cycle helmet and turn signals? that sounds ridiculous.

but hey I'm not in charge (yet....) the day will come when people can fathom the fact that bicycles with 49cc engines can't kill people will come

plus Ive seen a E-bike on e-bay that goes up to 120km

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
I think there are a couple of guys here from your area.
Look in the laws and leglislation section.
You can also do an on line search for motor assisted bicycle.
I know it isn't much consolation but-
Be glad you live in a climate where you CAN ride all yr.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Would cost a bit, but could get battery operated turn signals, a helmet and licence. A used helmet or look-a-like is not big bucks. I dunno what a MC licence would cost ya, but if it keeps you ridding. I know what you mean about loving your MB. I really hope you find a solution. Please keep us posted.

bicycle turn signals - Google Product Search

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Devalut, you were open to a charge of driving an unregistered, unlicenced, uninsured motor vehicle which I under stand upsets ICBC to the tune of about $5000 in fines and a 2 year term in jail. You will also need two jobs to pay for your insurance.

You can't register it as a moped because it will not be on the list of approved manufacturers.
You might get it passed as a motor cycle but you will need DOT approved tires and a host of other things. Ask a motor cycle inspection station what they look for.

As Pops said only E-Bikes here. He's the local expert.

Steve.

Terry Blow

Dealer & Custom Builder
Oct 29, 2009
Surrey B.C Canada
I Hate this hole Darn thing the Canadian Transport Minister has rammed one right up the you who of every gas powered bicycle rider across Canada including Ontario. I have invested a carp load of money and time building a company and a compliant motorized bicycle. It is impossible and that is no JOKE if your Vehicle dose not have a CMVSS com-pliancy decal from the manufacturer your dead in the water. I only just found this out because I went to all the expense and time to bring my bicycle up to Limited speed motorcycle specs with full motorcycle lighting horn all DOT and SAE approved. Only to find out in the twelfth hour I dose not matted what I did to my bicycle it will never be aloud on the roads ever. Here is the link to the Bulletin http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/cvse/vehicl...F/bulletins/090914_bulletin_5_motorcycles.pdf What this is tell you is if you try to become compliant and go as far as taking your MB to an inspection facility they will look up this bulletin and then send you home. And with out this inspection no Vin number will be issued and no VIN number no insurance. witch all spells NO GAS POWERED BICYCLES IN CANADA. If you go to the transport Canada site and look it up you will find the same info this goes for Canada wide end of story.
Of course there are ways around this of which I have done. If you are very serious about following my path I am willing to guide you in the right direction. But be warned you could buy a scooter cheaper than you can build you own moped PM me if you are super serious and have lots of money that you are willing to spend.

Terry

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Not to mention the unlicenced and unregistered motor vehicle charges you might be facing as well. You will need a second job to pay for your auto insurance when you get your licence back, because of the points that you will lose.

Went over this with my insurance agent a week or so ago. He stated whoever did it would not want to do it again.

Steve.