The lucky one?

GoldenMotor.com

snorks

Jan 16, 2009
Africa
I purchased a 66cc chinese motor in Australia about 12 months ago. I put it in my backpack (weighs about 9kg) and travelled home to Africa. My Schwinn sierra is a great bike & I didn't want to butcher it so I purchased a 2nd hand mtb for about $35USD. I mounted the motor on the bike.By the way I have about 20 years experience in motor bikes, have supercharged a 50cc four stroke, made expansion chambers using the water method ,had fancy cams ground ,ported 2 strokes, bored out liners etc. etc. The motor lasted about 2-5 RPM before seizing up!!
I stripped it to find a loose woodruffe key (spelling?) inside the crankcase wedged between the case & the crankshaft !!! It didn't belong anywhere it was just a loose key.
Whilst stripping the motor -using wooden drifts to knock the crank out of the housing I managed to cock up the threads for the 1st time in my life - on both side of the crankshaft!. I was bitterly dissapointed in this piece of chinese rubbish. I rebuilt the motor-using a very strange imperial set of crankshaft seals which were only single lipped & not a true labyrinth seal (nothing else available).
I was also dissapointed that it was a bushed motor....
anyway, after a careful re-assembly & run in I am surprised at how well it runs! Yes I saw the ports didn't match, the piston didnt uncover the inlet port fully,the exhaust port os badly cleaned up,there was no dowels in the case or barrel,the gaskets are rubbish etc. Yet it starts great, runs at full throttle easily & willingly produces a full usable power.
Yes the gaskets weep, but overall I'm surprised at how the motor seems to be doing it's job.
I know in the old days with car motors they expected a 20% loss on hp between the blue prints & the final product.
My question is... Is it really worth the porting etc discussed on the forum. Its NOT a high performance motor- & NEVER will be. Why can't someone just make a proper version rather than try & fix up an inheritinaly flawed design. Its not actually flawed its just detuned... for the sake of the quality of the material, the tolerances, etc.
I have lots of russian model aircraft engines. Designed like a ferrari with the tolerances of a ford & the materials of a wheel barrow.....
Is it worth it?
Cheers Simon

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Simon, welcome to the wonderful world of the Chinese bicycle engine...there are those that have done just about everything to these engines, most with moderate power increases and reliability.
There are a couple of people working on your idea right now...it's all posted here on the forums.

I know exactly what you mean about the Russian model plane engines!

fm2200

Nov 16, 2008
new york city
The Morini 2 stroke engines were once used in KTM motorcycles, the EPA has since banned the use of all 2 strokes for use in motorcycles taking Morini out of the picture.

fm2200

Nov 16, 2008
new york city
my only semi concern is that the EPA may extend their restrictions to the currently and exclusively used 2 stroke in this endeavor. but the latest revelations you brought up look promising, but may still may fall short of the mark, big govt can be so unyeilding.

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Simon - I am glad to hear that after hauling that engine so far that you were able to get it going. I think it is worth the extra time to clean up the ports and make the engine run as good as it can. Not so much to get the extra power as to just make it run all the way around better. I see a large increase in mileage and less throttle to just roll along. I keep the exhaust 1.1" from the top and made larger and cleaner. The intake I lower about .25" and make it look good, the transfer ports I don't mess with too much, as they are hard to do and you can mess things up easy. I have one that I did widen and raise .050" I did not notice any increase, but I had done the other ports earlier. It is best not to do sustained high RPM's with a bushed engine, it is said they fail, I have a few and none have failed I am conservative. Have fun, Dave

snorks

Jan 16, 2009
Africa
Are the Morini engines still available in the UK or EU? I have a Garelli mosquito-apart from the friction drive it's a work of art. The tolerances,clutch concept,the del'orto choke setup...some of the engineering aspect make your heart sing. The china motor on the other hand.... all those crazy threads-the overall look of the engine with it's awkard lines.-Why doesnt the finning run horizontal with the air flow when mounted in frame? My head was mounted backwards with a gasket that didnt even seat on the mating surfaces? The lube for the primary drive?-the gear AND the shaft for that matter? I can't help thinking that a little more thought at the design stage would have made for a better engine overall. And please...why are people still perpetuating this 80cc thing?
Are the Russian motors available somewhere? Anyone know where I can see a good overall pic of one ?
thanks
Simon

Jun 25, 2008
Are the Morini engines still available in the UK or EU? I have a Garelli mosquito-apart from the friction drive it's a work of art. The tolerances,clutch concept,the del'orto choke setup...some of the engineering aspect make your heart sing. The china motor on the other hand.... all those crazy threads-the overall look of the engine with it's awkard lines.-Why doesnt the finning run horizontal with the air flow when mounted in frame? My head was mounted backwards with a gasket that didnt even seat on the mating surfaces? The lube for the primary drive?-the gear AND the shaft for that matter? I can't help thinking that a little more thought at the design stage would have made for a better engine overall. And please...why are people still perpetuating this 80cc thing?
Are the Russian motors available somewhere? Anyone know where I can see a good overall pic of one ?
thanks
Simon
Russians available here

I have a feeling i found a UK dealer selling morini engines, yeah here it is.