Best cable control setup

GoldenMotor.com

_Spyder

Mar 12, 2015
Wisconsin
I'm interested in upgrading my cable controls, specifically the clutch and brakes.

Does anyone know of a novel or intuitive way to setup the controls so the brakes and clutch aren't impossible to operate simultaneously? It just makes me a little nervous having to lock my clutch and then reach above it to the brake lever, especially since the clutch lock button is a little sticky from dumping the bike last winter. I've imagined using something like a throttle grip for the clutch but I haven't been able to find a locking model with a cursory search.

In any case, I'd really appreciate direction towards any good clutch control; I didn't like that odd little spring-loaded lock button even when it was new.

Thanks in advance for any advice~

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
They do sell a double pull brake lever that pull both brakes at once. Some like and some don't. Takes a little to adjust..............Curt

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i use dia compe tech 77 levers on my bikes. they were originally made in the 80's for freestyle bmx and have a locking button that never fails. the remake ones are just as good as the originals and they're about 15 bucks each.

won't solve your two lever problem, but they're waaay better than the crappy stock clutch lever.

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
Does your bike have a front derailleur on it? One of the vendors has a lever that is basically a front shifter/brake and the trigger shifters are used to actuate the clutch. you cant have a front shifter for that set up i think. I've never done it that way, just seen the part in the listings.

Edit: Found it:
http://www.bikeberry.com/gas-engine...roke-clutch/combo-brake-and-clutch-lever.html
It's just a 3speed front deraileur brake/shifter lever.

Last edited:

_Spyder

Mar 12, 2015
Wisconsin
Thank you all very much for the advice! It will go a long way. I will almost certainly buy a double pull brake lever - right now I pretty much use the rear brake exclusively, so I can't imagine it would give me less control in any way :p

Thanks a lot, knightscape and bairdco, for the clutch recommendations. I'm not sure which route I'll go yet, but the Compe Tech and a double pull brake sounds like a cool combination. I don't have a front dereailleur, and that ratcheting clutch/shifter is pretty awesome, but I'm worried that it wouldn't allow as much control over the clutch as a full-size lever.

Thanks again for the advice!

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Everyone seems to miss the cable itself...
I use a clutch cable from a RM250 MX bike. MUCH heavier construction and strength.
I did have to drill my clutch arm to allow the thicker cable to fit
Fits normal levers.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Good call maniac. I also use motorcycle cables for brakes and clutches. A lot less flex. Sometimes heavier duty levers and perches are required. Careful routing and numerous frame clamps give a more confident feel.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Raced road racing for 14 seasons a long time ago. I've had double pull brake levers on my two builds for 6 years, and wouldn't want to be without them. I had my doubts at first, but the levers have never failed.

What I'm wanting to get is a clutch cable roller I saw out a couple of years back and can't seem to find now- a little roller attached to the side of the case and the cable ran through a roller at the top. Anybody know where I can still get one?

Legwon

Mar 2, 2013
Van bc Canada
Raced road racing for 14 seasons a long time ago. I've had double pull brake levers on my two builds for 6 years, and wouldn't want to be without them. I had my doubts at first, but the levers have never failed.

What I'm wanting to get is a clutch cable roller I saw out a couple of years back and can't seem to find now- a little roller attached to the side of the case and the cable ran through a roller at the top. Anybody know where I can still get one?
i believe This is what your looking for Nashville??